RTLinux vs Embedded Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on RTLinux vs Embedded Linux - Embedded ; Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux. please let me know the answer or any link to clarify this. Thanks in advance for spending u r valuable time....

  1. RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.
    please let me know the answer or any link to clarify this.
    Thanks in advance for spending u r valuable time.

  2. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    thiru.258@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.

    Shure! There are both. Realtime Linuxes which are not embedded e.g. on a
    regular PC as well as there are embedded Linuxes without Realtime
    capabilities.

    Sven

    --
    "Every time you use Google, you're using a Linux machine"
    (Chris DiBona, a programs manager for Google)

    /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

  3. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    thiru.258@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.

    IMHO they have nothing in common.

    My view:

    "Embedded" means that during normal work a standard command-line or GUI
    user interface is not used. You don't _need_ to change anything in Linux
    to do that but you _can_ strip it down to have it run on a
    smaller/cheaper hardware.

    (Hard) Realtime means that the system is able to guarantee that
    predefined reaction times to certain hardware events are met. Linux
    can't do this. (But there are add-ons that help). Soft Realtime means
    that the timing constrains are only failed in very rare cases. Linux can
    do this (activating Kernel preemption and other stuff when building the
    Kernel helps).

    RTLinux is the name of a company that sells Linux distributions and support.

    -Michael

  4. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    > Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.
    Embedded linux is a generic term that desgin a linux made to work on a
    specific embedded platform without realtime functionality (in fact since
    2.6 kernel, linux have some realtime functionalities)
    RTLinux, is a realtime kernel that run a Linux kernel as a task (an embedded
    Linux or not). RTLinux is a specific term for a specific solution.

    > Shure! There are both. Realtime Linuxes which are not embedded e.g. on a
    > regular PC as well as there are embedded Linuxes without Realtime
    > capabilities.

    In fact, you can have an embedded RTLinux

    Guillaume

    --
    Guillaume Chevillot

  5. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    > thiru.258@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.
    >>

    > IMHO they have nothing in common.
    >
    > My view:
    >
    > "Embedded" means that during normal work a standard command-line or GUI
    > user interface is not used. You don't _need_ to change anything in Linux
    > to do that but you _can_ strip it down to have it run on a
    > smaller/cheaper hardware.
    >
    > (Hard) Realtime means that the system is able to guarantee that
    > predefined reaction times to certain hardware events are met. Linux
    > can't do this. (But there are add-ons that help). Soft Realtime means
    > that the timing constrains are only failed in very rare cases. Linux can
    > do this (activating Kernel preemption and other stuff when building the
    > Kernel helps).
    >
    > RTLinux is the name of a company that sells Linux distributions and
    > support.
    >
    > -Michael

    Actually, to be clear, RTLinux was a product name of a real-time Linux
    product owned by a company named FSMLabs. The RTLinux solution
    (basically) is a modification that runs two operating systems. A small
    real-time OS and Linux running at the same time on the computer. Normal
    Linux applications running inside of the Linux portion of rtlinux are no
    more real-time than normal Linux is but one can achieve hard real-time
    performance in the smaller kernel that is running at the same time and
    the two partitions can communicate. In practice, one sometimes has only
    a small subset of the application that has hard real-time requirements.

    As the years have gone by the standard kernel responsiveness in certain
    platforms and conditions has really begun to approach that of RTLinux.

    Note that Wind River acquired the licenses for RTLinux from FSMLabs
    earlier this year.

    http://www.windriver.com/announces/rtlinux/

    Also note that while I am an occasional Wind river (vxWorks) user, I
    don't for for the company and I have not used their previous embedded
    linux product (other than a brief eval) and never did anything more than
    some playing with rtlinux a few years ago.

  6. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    I would like to know the current status of the RTLinux Open. Some of
    other organizations also doing lot of works for RTLinux Open. But they
    did not touched anything in RTLinux patch. They are using the existing
    old patches.
    Ocera::http://www.ocera.org/
    http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/projects/rtlinux/
    http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org/
    http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8
    If any other Organizations for RTLinux, Let me know.

    -Prakash
    http://electronica.org.in is an Open source site for learners and
    beginners

  7. Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

    asprakash wrote:

    > I would like to know the current status of the RTLinux Open. Some of
    > other organizations also doing lot of works for RTLinux Open. But they
    > did not touched anything in RTLinux patch. They are using the existing
    > old patches.

    If I would be in your Position of setting up a new Project I would strongly
    consider to go for the newer Realtime Preempt http://rt.wiki.kernel.org
    aproach instead of the older RTLinux stuff!

    Sven

    --
    "The term "any key" does not refer to a particular key on the keyboard. It
    simply means to strike any one of the keys on your keyboard or handheld

+ Reply to Thread