cannot access /dev/pts/? - Embedded

This is a discussion on cannot access /dev/pts/? - Embedded ; OK. I know the basics. /dev/pts needs to be mounted to access pseudo- terminals in modern UNIX98 kernels. I have enabled the CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y option in my kernel and mounted /dev/pts. See below. -bash-3.1# more /proc/mounts rootfs / rootfs rw 0 ...

  1. cannot access /dev/pts/?

    OK. I know the basics. /dev/pts needs to be mounted to access pseudo-
    terminals in modern UNIX98 kernels.

    I have enabled the CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y option in my kernel and
    mounted /dev/pts. See below.

    -bash-3.1# more /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root / nfs
    rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,nolock,proto= udp,timeo=11,retrans=2,addr=10.0.0.128 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0

    I keep getting the "all terminals in use" when I try to telnet to my
    board using several different builds of busybox. What other kernel
    options or config files would be related to the error message above?"

    I must use a 2.6.17 kernel because it is the only one that supports all
    of my 3rd party drivers.

  2. Re: cannot access /dev/pts/?

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:20:57 -0500, noone wrote:

    > OK. I know the basics. /dev/pts needs to be mounted to access pseudo-
    > terminals in modern UNIX98 kernels.
    >
    > I have enabled the CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y option in my kernel and mounted
    > /dev/pts. See below.
    >
    > -bash-3.1# more /proc/mounts
    > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/root / nfs
    > rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,nolock,proto= udp,timeo=11,retrans=2,addr=10.0.0.128
    > 0 0 proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
    > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    >

    > I keep getting the "all terminals in use" when I try to telnet to my
    > board using several different builds of busybox. What other kernel
    > options or config files would be related to the error message above?"
    >
    > I must use a 2.6.17 kernel because it is the only one that supports all
    > of my 3rd party drivers.

    problem solved...When using embedded systems I don't like to use udev and
    prefer to create static device nodes. Apparently I was missing a/some
    required nodes in /dev.

  3. Re: cannot access /dev/pts/?

    Could you elaborate? I'm having the same problem. My rootfs is NFS mounted
    (to a Linux host). My /proc/mounts are the same. All /dev nodes are chown
    root:root, and I have an additional "master" node /dev/ptmx (? not logged
    into linux now). What is the magic missing node?

    "noone" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:20:57 -0500, noone wrote:
    >
    >> OK. I know the basics. /dev/pts needs to be mounted to access pseudo-
    >> terminals in modern UNIX98 kernels.
    >>
    >> I have enabled the CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y option in my kernel and mounted
    >> /dev/pts. See below.
    >>
    >> -bash-3.1# more /proc/mounts
    >> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    >> /dev/root / nfs
    >> rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,nolock,proto= udp,timeo=11,retrans=2,addr=10.0.0.128
    >> 0 0 proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    >> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    >> tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
    >> sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    >> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    >>

    >> I keep getting the "all terminals in use" when I try to telnet to my
    >> board using several different builds of busybox. What other kernel
    >> options or config files would be related to the error message above?"
    >>
    >> I must use a 2.6.17 kernel because it is the only one that supports all
    >> of my 3rd party drivers.

    > problem solved...When using embedded systems I don't like to use udev and
    > prefer to create static device nodes. Apparently I was missing a/some
    > required nodes in /dev.

+ Reply to Thread