Cost analysis for Embedded Linux? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Cost analysis for Embedded Linux? - Embedded ; Hi all, Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System which has serial input and GPRS output. Like this Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to internet cloud. (Input) (Processing) (Output) This ...

  1. Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

    Hi all,

    Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System
    which has serial input and GPRS output.

    Like this

    Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to
    internet cloud.
    (Input)
    (Processing) (Output)

    This has to be very very cost effective hence. my question is

    Is there a Embedded Linux Distribution that has support for GPRS
    drivers and charges the minimum for commercial development (OS+
    Deveopment Tools) for three developers MAX.

    the linux distribution that does charges nothing/ negligible as run-
    time royalty/unit.

    or is there a link you can provide that gives me these data. I did
    try my best with google but dint give me a proper answer.

    Thanks in Advance,

  2. Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

    On 11 Mar 2007 05:39:09 -0700, "mafi" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    > Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System
    >which has serial input and GPRS output.
    >
    >Like this
    >
    >Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to
    >internet cloud.
    > (Input)
    >(Processing) (Output)

    Why bother building something when there are cheap off the shelf units
    already available. You could, for example, look at:

    Siemens MC35i (https://pia.khe.siemens.com/index14274.htm)
    Comtech GPRS router
    (http://www.comtechm2m.com/gprs-route...r-gsm-gprs.htm)
    Fargo Maestro 100
    (http://www.fargotelecom.com/gb/products/pr_col1.htm)
    Motorola G200 (e.g. http://www.mrccomponents.de/gsm_modules.htm).

    E-mail me privately if you would like to know more about my experience
    with these devices. (My company produces railway monitoring systems
    that are often installed in remote and hazardous locations and we use
    GPRS extensively for communications beck to central servers.)

    --
    Chris Isbell
    Southampton, UK

  3. Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

    On Mar 11, 10:55 pm, Chris Isbell wrote:
    > On 11 Mar 2007 05:39:09 -0700, "mafi" wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,

    > > Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System
    > >which has serial input and GPRS output.

    > >Like this

    > >Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to
    > >internet cloud.
    > > (Input)
    > >(Processing) (Output)

    > Why bother building something when there are cheap off the shelf units
    > already available. You could, for example, look at:
    >
    > Siemens MC35i (https://pia.khe.siemens.com/index14274.htm)
    > Comtech GPRS router
    > (http://www.comtechm2m.com/gprs-route...r-gsm-gprs.htm)
    > Fargo Maestro 100
    > (http://www.fargotelecom.com/gb/products/pr_col1.htm)
    > Motorola G200 (e.g.http://www.mrccomponents.de/gsm_modules.htm).
    >
    > E-mail me privately if you would like to know more about my experience
    > with these devices. (My company produces railway monitoring systems
    > that are often installed in remote and hazardous locations and we use
    > GPRS extensively for communications beck to central servers.)
    >
    > --
    > Chris Isbell
    > Southampton, UK

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks a lot for you response, but the problem i have is. We are
    first in the phase of developing a POC (Proof Of Concept) then looking
    at the load we would scale down and decide upon the hardware. We have
    a dedicated hardware design team for this reason i cant go purchase
    any hardware unit outside.

    Once we are done with the POC (which will be done for a desktop
    PC) using a USB interfaced GPRS modem, then we would scale the
    hardware and decide upon the OS to be used and finally port the code
    to the target device. i seriously doubt if there are any GPRS Drivers
    available in any of the Embedded Linux. and i also wanted to the cost
    analysis in choosing among Embedded LInux and Windows Embedded.

  4. Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

    > This has to be very very cost effective hence. my question is
    >
    > Is there a Embedded Linux Distribution that has support for GPRS
    > drivers and charges the minimum for commercial development (OS+
    > Deveopment Tools) for three developers MAX.

    AFAIK, normal GPRS-Modems just have a serial interface doing PPP. So any
    Linux should be able to use it.

    Do you ask because you want to do a lower level GPRS installation to
    save cost ?

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread