initrd - Embedded

This is a discussion on initrd - Embedded ; After a new linux installation, i'm unable to boot with previous installed linux. This is because previous installed initrd is overwritten with new initrd. How do I fix this in order to boot with previous linux installation. Thanks in advance. ...

  1. initrd

    After a new linux installation, i'm unable to boot with previous
    installed linux.
    This is because previous installed initrd is overwritten with new
    initrd.

    How do I fix this in order to boot with previous linux installation.

    Thanks in advance.

    Nilesh

  2. Re: initrd

    On 2 Mar 2007 04:03:33 -0800 Nilesh wrote:

    | After a new linux installation, i'm unable to boot with previous
    | installed linux.
    | This is because previous installed initrd is overwritten with new
    | initrd.
    |
    | How do I fix this in order to boot with previous linux installation.

    The new initrd is not compatible with the old kernel? You need to
    install the combination of all old components. That, or redesign
    the components to be incrementally compatible.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-02-1221@ipal.net |

  3. Re: initrd

    On Mar 2, 1:03 pm, "Nilesh" wrote:
    > After a new linux installation, i'm unable to boot with previous
    > installed linux.
    > This is because previous installed initrd is overwritten with new
    > initrd.
    >
    > How do I fix this in order to boot with previous linux installation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Nilesh

    This is the way I fix it:
    * boot from CD (knoppix)
    * mount filesystem
    * chroot
    * mkinitrd (after correcting /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf)
    Hope it helps.

    wimpunk

+ Reply to Thread