Frame buffer driver for X server - Embedded

This is a discussion on Frame buffer driver for X server - Embedded ; "CptDondo" wrote in message news:12uts19hhtvjhf3@corp.supernews.com... > Peter Dickerson wrote: >> "Michael Schnell" wrote in >> message > >> If you're trying to control some headless kit from a PC wouldn't it be >> better to implement a web server in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    "CptDondo" wrote in message
    > Peter Dickerson wrote:
    >> "Michael Schnell" wrote in
    >> message

    >> If you're trying to control some headless kit from a PC wouldn't it be
    >> better to implement a web server in the device. That way the PC would
    >> require no additional software. The device doesn't need to understand
    >> graphics much and the basic UI control stuff can be done in java or
    >> javascript. A basic web server will be much simpler than implementing X
    >> and everything above and below it.

    > That would be my solution as well.... (in fact, that is my current
    > solution.)
    >

    >> What sort of things do you need to display?

    Please watch you attributions. Your message suggests that Michael Schnell
    wrote the quoted (now twice quoted) comments rather than myself...

    Peter

  2. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    Thanks a lot for sharing this !

    -Michael

  3. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    > If you're trying to control some headless kit from a PC wouldn't it be
    > better to implement a web server in the device.

    Of course this is the way something like this usually is done.

    In the project I am up to do there are two issues with that: (1) with
    http protocol I can't get events from the device to the remote screen.
    Of course there are several standard solution for that (e.g using java
    script for polling or creating a socket). And (2) this is going to be a
    port from a PC program and it would be advantageous to make it look
    alike the PC version.

    > What sort of things do you need to display?

    The device is a complex information dispatcher communicating with
    several external devices via serial and TCP/IP ports. Mainly status
    informations should be (optionally) displayed (on multiple "pages") and
    user should be enabled to do some configuring.

    -Michael

  4. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    Michael Schnell wrote in

    >> If you're trying to control some headless kit from a PC wouldn't it
    >> be better to implement a web server in the device.

    > Of course this is the way something like this usually is done.
    >
    > In the project I am up to do there are two issues with that: (1) with
    > http protocol I can't get events from the device to the remote screen.
    > Of course there are several standard solution for that (e.g using java
    > script for polling or creating a socket). And (2) this is going to be
    > a port from a PC program and it would be advantageous to make it look
    > alike the PC version.

    Hi Michael, glad to see you posting here too.

    You can deal with issue 1 in html - use the autoreload tag. Every n
    seconds it can reload the page. If you are CGI generating the page and
    just polling for an event you can even change the page source to not
    autoreload once the trigger event happens.

    Number 2 you cannot deal with like the original PC program. But if done
    in pure html (none of that java stuff), it is already ported to all
    systems with browsers...Macs, Linux, some PDAs etc.

    Regards, Steve

  5. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    >> If you're trying to control some headless kit from a PC wouldn't it be
    >> better to implement a web server in the device.

    > Of course this is the way something like this usually is done.
    >
    > In the project I am up to do there are two issues with that: (1) with
    > http protocol I can't get events from the device to the remote screen.
    > Of course there are several standard solution for that (e.g using java
    > script for polling or creating a socket). And (2) this is going to be a
    > port from a PC program and it would be advantageous to make it look
    > alike the PC version.
    >

    >> What sort of things do you need to display?
    >>

    > The device is a complex information dispatcher communicating with
    > several external devices via serial and TCP/IP ports. Mainly status
    > informations should be (optionally) displayed (on multiple "pages") and
    > user should be enabled to do some configuring.
    >
    > -Michael

    Please contact me privately. (Remove the N.O.S.P.A.M. from my email
    address.)

    I have something very similar sitting right here next to me;
    communicates using serial (rs232 and 485), GSM modem, ethernet, 2 wire
    industrial bus, etc, built-in browser, flash for animations,
    programmable via built-in LCD or remote browser, etc.

    Fully customizable via XML config files and php scripts.

    --Yan

  6. Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

    Sounds good. Thanks a lot.

    Right now I'm just researching options for the future project. So I'll
    be glad to get back to you once we are closer to the project start.

    Thanks a gain,
    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2