Embedded application on PS3, dev questions - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded application on PS3, dev questions - Embedded ; Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about developing for the Cell BE on the PlayStation 3? My big question is: If I install FC5 PPC (or some other Linux distro), what will I need to add in ...

  1. Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

    Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about developing for
    the Cell BE on the PlayStation 3?

    My big question is: If I install FC5 PPC (or some other Linux distro),
    what will I need to add in order to be able to build a program that
    accesses the SPEs; is there a walkthrough on this?

    Secondarily: Is anyone aware of a USB audio input device that will
    work nicely with the PPC Linux kernel?

    Google finds roughly ten zillion pages of people gushing about how
    they can see a Gnome desktop on their PS3, but not much in the way of
    useful content.

    My intended application is not very challenging: it's simply to take a
    44.1kHz audio signal input and use one of the SPEs to run a 512-bin
    FFT and display the spectrum onscreen.

  2. Re: Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

    In article <1170159820.641137.178230@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "larwe" wrote:

    > If I install FC5 PPC (or some other Linux distro),
    > what will I need to add in order to be able to build a program that
    > accesses the SPEs; is there a walkthrough on this?

    I recently bookmarked this, which seemed useful
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...pa-linuxps3-1/

    "how to install Linux on the PS3, and how to get started
    developing for the Cell BE processor on the PS3"

    Disclaimer: I never programmed a PS3.

    Francois Grieu

  3. Re: Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

    "larwe" wrote in message
    news:1170159820.641137.178230@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about developing for
    > the Cell BE on the PlayStation 3?
    >
    > My big question is: If I install FC5 PPC (or some other Linux distro),
    > what will I need to add in order to be able to build a program that
    > accesses the SPEs; is there a walkthrough on this?
    >
    > Secondarily: Is anyone aware of a USB audio input device that will
    > work nicely with the PPC Linux kernel?
    >
    > Google finds roughly ten zillion pages of people gushing about how
    > they can see a Gnome desktop on their PS3, but not much in the way of
    > useful content.
    >
    > My intended application is not very challenging: it's simply to take a
    > 44.1kHz audio signal input and use one of the SPEs to run a 512-bin
    > FFT and display the spectrum onscreen.

    Sounds like an good project - the Cell is an interesting beast. Is FC5
    your usual choice of distro or are there specific reasons why you've
    gone for this one?

+ Reply to Thread