I would like to implement a fast 16-bit parallel port on an x86 system
for
interface to an analog-to-digital converter. From a software
standpoint I am wondering about the feasibility. The ADC provides TTL
signals that are compatible with the IDE electrical specs (16 data and
one data-valid clock). I can set the clock to meet any of the IDE PIO
mode specs (modes 0-4). So it appears the the electrical interface is
easy. How difficult would it be to read the 16-bit data directly from
the IDE controller. Assume we are dedicating the secondary IDE bus to
this task. I'm thinking along the lines of a simple "PIO like"
implementation. The system would be dedicated to the data acquisition
so
inefficient use of the CPU such as polling is acceptable.

Thanks,
Jim