Bypassing Boot ROM after Reset - Embedded

This is a discussion on Bypassing Boot ROM after Reset - Embedded ; Hi, I find that after Power ON or Soft Reset - The bootrom is getting loaded . But, i would like to bypass the bootrom . Is there a type of RESET so that after reset, it will not be ...

  1. Bypassing Boot ROM after Reset

    Hi,

    I find that after Power ON or Soft Reset - The bootrom is getting
    loaded .
    But, i would like to bypass the bootrom .
    Is there a type of RESET so that after reset, it will not be branching
    to the Boot ROM
    but, it will be branching to the entry point of the Bootloader ?

    I use OMAP 5912 Processor.

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: Bypassing Boot ROM after Reset

    karthikbg wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I find that after Power ON or Soft Reset - The bootrom is getting
    > loaded .
    > But, i would like to bypass the bootrom .
    > Is there a type of RESET so that after reset, it will not be branching
    > to the Boot ROM
    > but, it will be branching to the entry point of the Bootloader ?
    >
    > I use OMAP 5912 Processor.

    Perhaps the OMAP 5912 Processor's documentation will answer your
    question. In other words, do your own homework.

    Dave

  3. Re: Bypassing Boot ROM after Reset

    Dave Littell wrote:
    > karthikbg wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I find that after Power ON or Soft Reset - The bootrom is getting
    > > loaded .
    > > But, i would like to bypass the bootrom .
    > > Is there a type of RESET so that after reset, it will not be branching
    > > to the Boot ROM
    > > but, it will be branching to the entry point of the Bootloader ?
    > >
    > > I use OMAP 5912 Processor.
    > >

    > Perhaps the OMAP 5912 Processor's documentation will answer your
    > question. In other words, do your own homework.
    >

    > Dave

    Hi,
    I find that if i design by bypassing the boot ROM, then the bootloader
    will not get copied to the RAM from the Flash. The Boot ROM has the
    basic OMAP intialisaton stuffs and is copying the Bootloader from the
    Flash to RAM , then it invokes the bootloader in RAM.
    The Bootloader is required to copy my application from Flash to RAM and
    invoke the application in RAM.

    So, I think, I cannot bypass Boot ROM . (That is , I cannot Branch to
    Bootloader Entry point directly after RESET).

    But, I think, the following is possible - Making the Bootlaoder to
    execute in Flash itself:
    I would like to execute the Bootloader from the Flash Memory itself
    (Execute in Place - XIP ).
    The bootloader CMD files have the RAM memory mapping as it was designed
    to execute in RAM.
    So, the CMD files of the Bootloader has to be changed .
    But, How to make the Bootloader to Execute from the Flash Memory itself
    ?

    Kindly let me know your ideas / suggestions.

    Thx in Advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

+ Reply to Thread