how to add usb driver in linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on how to add usb driver in linux - Embedded ; my board is xcalse and run montavista, i want to mount an usb disk on it 1) cat /proc/devices Character devices: ....... 180 usb ....... 2)mknod /dev/usb/usb0 c 180 200 mount /dev/usb/usb0 /mnt mount: /dev/usb/usb0 is not a block device ...

  1. how to add usb driver in linux

    my board is xcalse and run montavista, i want to mount an usb disk on it

    1) cat /proc/devices
    Character devices:
    180 usb

    2)mknod /dev/usb/usb0 c 180 200

    mount /dev/usb/usb0 /mnt

    mount: /dev/usb/usb0 is not a block device

    3)mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    //nonthing
    cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
    usbdevfs
    hub
    questions:
    1)Character devices points out the usb device is an character device, but
    the linux will access it by SCSI module, but how to relate dev/usb/usb0 to
    SCSI module?
    2)cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    //nonthing
    why the bus cant get the usb device's information?

  2. Re: how to add usb driver in linux

    freegnu ha scritto:
    > my board is xcalse and run montavista, i want to mount an usb disk on it
    >
    > 1) cat /proc/devices
    > Character devices:
    > 180 usb
    >
    > 2)mknod /dev/usb/usb0 c 180 200
    >
    > mount /dev/usb/usb0 /mnt
    >
    > mount: /dev/usb/usb0 is not a block device
    >
    > 3)mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
    > cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    > //nonthing
    > cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
    > usbdevfs
    > hub
    > questions:
    > 1)Character devices points out the usb device is an character device, but
    > the linux will access it by SCSI module, but how to relate dev/usb/usb0 to
    > SCSI module?
    > 2)cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    > //nonthing
    > why the bus cant get the usb device's information?

    USB memory is a SCSI device so you have to mount it as /dev/sdX exactly
    as you do on a Deskop linux box (for example)

    # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

    You will find many hints about this topic if you search with google :-)

    Best regards
    --
    Marco Cavallini
    Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - Italia

  3. Re: how to add usb driver in linux

    the os has not /dev/sdX (for example /dev/sda1) but only /dev/scsi dir,
    but under the dir there is not any file.
    im not sure that the os has already install usbcore and usb-uhci to support
    UHCI , usb-storage to support usb disk and ide-scsi to support ide to
    scsic.

    by the way :the os is montavista linux professional edition 3.1

    "Marco Cavallini [Koan]"
    ??????:elb7fr$a2q$1@newsread.albacom.net...
    > freegnu ha scritto:
    >> my board is xcalse and run montavista, i want to mount an usb disk on it
    >>
    >> 1) cat /proc/devices
    >> Character devices:
    >> 180 usb
    >>
    >> 2)mknod /dev/usb/usb0 c 180 200
    >>
    >> mount /dev/usb/usb0 /mnt
    >>
    >> mount: /dev/usb/usb0 is not a block device
    >>
    >> 3)mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
    >> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    >> //nonthing
    >> cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
    >> usbdevfs
    >> hub
    >> questions:
    >> 1)Character devices points out the usb device is an character device, but
    >> the linux will access it by SCSI module, but how to relate dev/usb/usb0
    >> to SCSI module?
    >> 2)cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    >> //nonthing
    >> why the bus cant get the usb device's information?

    > USB memory is a SCSI device so you have to mount it as /dev/sdX exactly as
    > you do on a Deskop linux box (for example)
    >
    > # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    >
    > You will find many hints about this topic if you search with google :-)
    >

    > Best regards
    > --
    > Marco Cavallini
    > Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - Italia
    > Embedded and Real-Time Software Engineering
    > - Atmel Third Party Consultant
    > - Intel PCA Developer Network Member
    > Tel. +39-(0)35-255.235 - Fax +39-178-223.9748
    > http://www.KoanSoftware.com - http://www.KaeilOS.com

+ Reply to Thread