Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the object file? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the object file? - Embedded ; Hello all. I use uClinux to make a char driver. After I setup my program, makefile, config file correctly, it only make a 8 bytes ("! ") object file for this driver when I make the kernel. What is wrong ...

  1. Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the object file?

    Hello all. I use uClinux to make a char driver. After I setup my
    program, makefile, config file correctly, it only make a 8 bytes
    ("!") object file for this driver when I make the kernel.
    What is wrong with it?

  2. Re: Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the objectfile?

    "Glinux" writes:

    > Hello all. I use uClinux to make a char driver. After I setup my
    > program, makefile, config file correctly, it only make a 8 bytes
    > ("!") object file for this driver when I make the kernel.

    You will probably benefit from reading this:
    http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    > What is wrong with it?

    The bytes "!" are a magic number for *archive* library.
    If you get them in an object file, you likely do something like:

    ar rc foo.o

    Solution: don't do that!

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the object file?

    You are absolutely right. thanks for your reply

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > "Glinux" writes:
    >
    > > Hello all. I use uClinux to make a char driver. After I setup my
    > > program, makefile, config file correctly, it only make a 8 bytes
    > > ("!") object file for this driver when I make the kernel.

    > You will probably benefit from reading this:
    > http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > > What is wrong with it?

    > The bytes "!" are a magic number for *archive* library.
    > If you get them in an object file, you likely do something like:
    >
    > ar rc foo.o
    >
    > Solution: don't do that!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  4. Re: Why does it only contain 8 bytes ("!<arch>") in the object file?

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > "Glinux" writes:
    >
    > > Hello all. I use uClinux to make a char driver. After I setup my
    > > program, makefile, config file correctly, it only make a 8 bytes
    > > ("!") object file for this driver when I make the kernel.

    > You will probably benefit from reading this:
    > http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > > What is wrong with it?

    > The bytes "!" are a magic number for *archive* library.
    > If you get them in an object file, you likely do something like:
    >
    > ar rc foo.o
    >
    > Solution: don't do that!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread