PC104 Memorycard? - Embedded

This is a discussion on PC104 Memorycard? - Embedded ; Hi all, i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another pc104 board) and storing ...

  1. PC104 Memorycard?

    Hi all,

    i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something
    similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an
    linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another
    pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users
    of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without
    shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to
    avoid.

    So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write
    it in cycles to the harddisc. But we cannot find such a board. Anybody has
    an idea?

    Thanks in advance, Jens
    --
    Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
    Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf

  2. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    Googeling for "pc-104" nvram reveals a lot.

    first hit is http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts-nvram-h.htm

    -Michael

  3. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    Michael Schnell schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 14:17:

    > Googeling for "pc-104" nvram reveals a lot.

    Thanks, Michael, nvram was the word i didnt guess. I was alays looking for
    sram.

    regards, Jens

    --
    Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
    Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf
    austauschen. Danke.

  4. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    Jens Nixdorf wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something
    > similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an
    > linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another
    > pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users
    > of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without
    > shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to
    > avoid.
    >
    > So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write
    > it in cycles to the harddisc. But we cannot find such a board. Anybody has
    > an idea?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Jens

    Better yet, contact Technologic Systems (embeddedarm.com) and buy a
    TS-7300 or 7400. It comes with an SD card slot. They also make a NVRAM
    PC-104 board. And they make a PC-104 battery backup board; just enough
    power to shut down the system gracefully.

    --Yan

  5. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    CptDondo schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 23:17:

    > Better yet, contact Technologic Systems (embeddedarm.com) and buy a
    > TS-7300 or 7400. *It comes with an SD card slot. *They also make a NVRAM
    > PC-104 board. *And they make a PC-104 battery backup board; just enough
    > power to shut down the system gracefully.

    Before we used to write the data to a harddisc we wrote them to a
    compactflash-card. But we became massive problems with data-loss, today we
    believe the reason was a combination of a bad designed ide-cf-adaptor and
    the limited writecycles of flash memory. So we dont want to use any type of
    flash-memory for constant data-collecting, therefore we even dont want to
    use sd-cards.

    The backup board would be an idea, but we will use an "ordinary" APC
    Back-UPS now, which can backup some peripherals too.

    The best idea i think is still the nvram-board.

    regards, Jens
    --
    Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
    Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf
    austauschen. Danke.

  6. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    Jens Nixdorf wrote:

    > Before we used to write the data to a harddisc we wrote them to a
    > compactflash-card. But we became massive problems with data-loss, today we
    > believe the reason was a combination of a bad designed ide-cf-adaptor and
    > the limited writecycles of flash memory. So we dont want to use any type of
    > flash-memory for constant data-collecting, therefore we even dont want to
    > use sd-cards.

    I think there is an issue with CF cards and powerloss that isn't there
    with SD cards. ISTR something about the CF card spec not guaranteeing
    that even a flush() will write the data out and that there is an unknown
    time delay in writing data. Perhaps someone here knows more?

    --Yan

  7. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    > I think there is an issue with CF cards and powerloss that isn't there
    > with SD cards.

    Any such flash device that does internal wear leveling and bad block
    relocation is bound to serious failing if power is lost just after a
    write request (whenever it is performing internal housekeeping).

    -Michael

  8. Re: PC104 Memorycard?

    Jens Nixdorf writes:

    >Hi all,

    >i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something
    >similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an
    >linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another
    >pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users
    >of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without
    >shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to
    >avoid.

    Maybe try running sync from a cron job every second or 2?

    >So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write
    >it in cycles to the harddisc.

    Make sure to run sync so the write cache is flushed.

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> bgeer@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

+ Reply to Thread