Slow connection process - Embedded

This is a discussion on Slow connection process - Embedded ; I have weird problem when I start a Telnet or FTP connection from my WinXP PC to my embedded Linux computer. Both the PC and embedded computer have fixed IP addresses but when they are isolated on their own switch ...

  1. Slow connection process

    I have weird problem when I start a Telnet or FTP connection from my
    WinXP PC to my embedded Linux computer. Both the PC and embedded
    computer have fixed IP addresses but when they are isolated on their
    own switch it takes exactly 10 seconds to get through. The odd thing is
    if I connect this switch to the building network, that has a standard
    router since all other computers use DHCP, the connection is instant.

    I quote the IP address of the embedded computer, so it shouldn't be a
    name look up, but nevertheless it takes 10 seconds if no router is
    present.

    I am pretty sure it is something simple, but what?

    Thanks,

    Jens.

  2. Re: Slow connection process

    Jens wrote:

    > I have weird problem when I start a Telnet or FTP connection from my
    > WinXP PC to my embedded Linux computer. Both the PC and embedded
    > computer have fixed IP addresses but when they are isolated on their
    > own switch it takes exactly 10 seconds to get through. The odd thing is
    > if I connect this switch to the building network, that has a standard
    > router since all other computers use DHCP, the connection is instant.
    >
    > I quote the IP address of the embedded computer, so it shouldn't be a
    > name look up, but nevertheless it takes 10 seconds if no router is
    > present.
    >
    > I am pretty sure it is something simple, but what?

    It's probably somekind of DNS trouble anyway. Try adding

    first.ip somehostname
    second.ip anotherhostname

    to c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (other versions of Windows probably
    uses another folder to ensure compatibility) and to /etc/hosts

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

+ Reply to Thread