Simulation environments for development before hardware is available - Embedded

This is a discussion on Simulation environments for development before hardware is available - Embedded ; Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will have a text display and IP/TCP stacks. Thanks, Eugene...

  1. Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
    embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I
    haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
    have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.

    Thanks,
    Eugene

  2. Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    hi Eugene,
    U can go for User mode Linux which is simulation of Linux over a
    linux machine.visit:

    http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

    U can even go for Vmware which is a simulator again.The player is
    available for free,while the workstation isn't.

    cheers,
    Kaushal
    eugyang@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
    > embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I
    > haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
    > have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eugene

  3. Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    krishna wrote:
    > eugyang@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
    > > embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I
    > > haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
    > > have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.

    [snip]
    > U can go for User mode Linux which is simulation of Linux over a
    > linux machine.visit:
    >
    > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

    UML won't emulate a different CPU from it's host system, and probably
    wouldn't give the OP the environment he needs

    > U can even go for Vmware which is a simulator again.The player is
    > available for free,while the workstation isn't.

    IIRC, VMWare is limited to certain CPU types (mostly Intel) and certain
    OS guests
    The OP could go with the QEMU emulator
    (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/), which emulates about 6
    different CPUs (Sparc x 2, Mips, Arm, PowerPC, Intel),

    NB, any virtualization solution will offer only a limited emulated
    hardware platform. If the OP's hardware target (NIC, video, serial,
    USB, hd controller, etc) differs from the virtualization environment,
    he will have to accomodate the low level differences when he finally
    ports to the real device.

    HTH
    --
    Lew

  4. Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    Hi Lew,
    I agree with u.But what Eugyang was asking for was a simulation
    environment for building his embedded linux system.Which means he wants
    to use Linux as the embedded os.He did not yet decide the cpu ,knows
    that it needs Text display and tcp/ip stack and wants to do some
    simulation which clearly implies that he is interested in his systems'
    application and os behaviour and not cpu behaviour.
    cheers,
    Kaushal
    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > krishna wrote:
    > > eugyang@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
    > > > embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I
    > > > haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
    > > > have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.

    > [snip]
    > > U can go for User mode Linux which is simulation of Linux over a
    > > linux machine.visit:
    > >
    > > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

    > UML won't emulate a different CPU from it's host system, and probably
    > wouldn't give the OP the environment he needs
    >
    > > U can even go for Vmware which is a simulator again.The player is
    > > available for free,while the workstation isn't.

    > IIRC, VMWare is limited to certain CPU types (mostly Intel) and certain
    > OS guests
    > The OP could go with the QEMU emulator
    > (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/), which emulates about 6
    > different CPUs (Sparc x 2, Mips, Arm, PowerPC, Intel),
    >
    > NB, any virtualization solution will offer only a limited emulated
    > hardware platform. If the OP's hardware target (NIC, video, serial,
    > USB, hd controller, etc) differs from the virtualization environment,
    > he will have to accomodate the low level differences when he finally
    > ports to the real device.
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Lew

  5. Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    krishna wrote:
    > Hi Lew,
    > I agree with u.But what Eugyang was asking for was a simulation
    > environment for building his embedded linux system.Which means he wants
    > to use Linux as the embedded os.He did not yet decide the cpu ,knows
    > that it needs Text display and tcp/ip stack and wants to do some
    > simulation which clearly implies that he is interested in his systems'
    > application and os behaviour and not cpu behaviour.
    > cheers,
    > Kaushal

    In a project I worked on, we started to implement the application on a
    Linux host and tested it on the host as well. The software architecture
    was organized in modules with well defined interfaces (which is a good
    idea for most software projects), and typically there would be one
    module in user space to deal with every specific hardware (for example,
    one CAN communication module to take care of the CAN communication,
    etc.; there was also a kernel driver for it, but typically there is some
    specific handling of every piece of hardware in user space as well). For
    the host environment, we replace those hardware-specific modules by
    simpler modules using the hardware that we had on the host (like
    replacing the CAN communication by TCP/IP - module that we needed for
    TCP/IP communication with other units anyway). The important point was
    that the replacing modules needed to provide the same interface as the
    real ones. This allowed us to test all the application logic in the host
    environment, with all it means (easier debugging, etc.). In parallel,
    when the hardware became available, we ported what was already working
    on the host to the target.

    That required careful project planning but it worked well for us.

    Regards,

    Alain Mosnier

  6. Re: Simulation environments for development before hardware is available

    check out qemu...
    eugyang@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can someone suggest some simulation environments for developing
    > embedded Linux systems before a hardware target is available? I
    > haven't selected the target's CPU type. But eventually, the target will
    > have a text display and IP/TCP stacks.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eugene

+ Reply to Thread