Interpreter/scripting on an embedded system? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Interpreter/scripting on an embedded system? - Embedded ; I'm building an Home Automation (HA) controller to replace my older HA controller. I've found a nice little 200 MHz ARM which has the matching I/O I need (digital, analog, serial and then some). The old system has an embedded ...

  1. Interpreter/scripting on an embedded system?

    I'm building an Home Automation (HA) controller to replace my older HA
    controller. I've found a nice little 200 MHz ARM which has the
    matching I/O I need (digital, analog, serial and then some). The old
    system has an embedded language call XPRESS (if/then/else, math,
    simple stuff). I'm wondering if I should try to learn to write a
    language parser or should I use something like Perl, Python or
    Ruby. Any suggestions?

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

  2. Re: Interpreter/scripting on an embedded system?

    Neil Cherry wrote:

    > I'm building an Home Automation (HA) controller to replace my older HA
    > controller. I've found a nice little 200 MHz ARM which has the
    > matching I/O I need (digital, analog, serial and then some). The old
    > system has an embedded language call XPRESS (if/then/else, math,
    > simple stuff). I'm wondering if I should try to learn to write a
    > language parser or should I use something like Perl, Python or
    > Ruby. Any suggestions?

    Python is good choice for such an application. Tcl would also do.

  3. Re: Interpreter/scripting on an embedded system?

    Taco wrote:
    > Neil Cherry wrote:
    >
    >> I'm building an Home Automation (HA) controller to replace my older HA
    >> controller. I've found a nice little 200 MHz ARM which has the
    >> matching I/O I need (digital, analog, serial and then some). The old
    >> system has an embedded language call XPRESS (if/then/else, math,
    >> simple stuff). I'm wondering if I should try to learn to write a
    >> language parser or should I use something like Perl, Python or
    >> Ruby. Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Python is good choice for such an application. Tcl would also do.

    If you need a small runtime, check out PAWN;
    http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm

+ Reply to Thread