kernel upgrade - Embedded

This is a discussion on kernel upgrade - Embedded ; we have Artesyn Katana Boards with ppc boot version 1.2.0 (with different release dates ).We have MV Linux CGE4.1 to be used on these cards. We are trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6. The kernel upgrade is success on ...

  1. kernel upgrade

    we have Artesyn Katana Boards with ppc boot version 1.2.0 (with
    different release dates ).We have MV Linux CGE4.1 to be used on these
    cards.
    We are trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6. The kernel upgrade is
    success on one card with ppc boot version 1.2 and release date of July
    2004. But all other cards which have different dates
    but same boot version the kernel upgrade is not successful.

    Any pointers would be appreciated.

  2. Re: kernel upgrade

    MV_Linux ha scritto:
    > we have Artesyn Katana Boards with ppc boot version 1.2.0 (with
    > different release dates ).We have MV Linux CGE4.1 to be used on these
    > cards.
    > We are trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6. The kernel upgrade is
    > success on one card with ppc boot version 1.2 and release date of July
    > 2004. But all other cards which have different dates
    > but same boot version the kernel upgrade is not successful.
    >
    > Any pointers would be appreciated.

    I guess: probably the boards have different sdram and flash chips
    inside, and that requires a quite different bootloader for each of them.
    You should open the device and check.
    HTH

    regards,
    --
    Marco Cavallini
    Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

  3. Re: kernel upgrade

    Marco Cavallini,
    Do you mean that since the sdram and flash chips are different they
    would need a differnet bootloader . Since I am new to this could you
    help me understand the relation of kernel to the bootloader. ? Thanks
    in advance for the information.

    Best Regards
    Mudit

    On Nov 1, 1:42 pm, Marco Cavallini wrote:
    > MV_Linux ha scritto:
    >
    > > we have Artesyn Katana Boards with ppc boot version 1.2.0 (with
    > > different release dates ).We have MV Linux CGE4.1 to be used on these
    > > cards.
    > > We are trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.6. The kernel upgrade is
    > > success on one card with ppc boot version 1.2 and release date of July
    > > 2004. But all other cards which have different dates
    > > but same boot version the kernel upgrade is not successful.

    > > Any pointers would be appreciated.I guess: probably the boards have different sdram and flash chips

    > inside, and that requires a quite different bootloader for each of them.
    > You should open the device and check.
    > HTH
    >
    > regards,
    > --
    > Marco Cavallini
    > Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA
    > Embedded and Real-Time Software Engineering
    > - Atmel Third Party Consultant
    > Tel. +39-(0)35-255.235 - Fax +39-178-223.9748www.KoanSoftware.com | www.KaeilOS.com

  4. Re: kernel upgrade

    > Do you mean that since the sdram and flash chips are different they
    > would need a differnet bootloader . Since I am new to this could you
    > help me understand the relation of kernel to the bootloader. ? Thanks
    > in advance for the information.

    First after switching on, a bootloader needs to be loaded. In a Standard-PC
    this is done by the BIOS, which loads the boot loader. In your device this
    is probably done by the firmware loading some sectors of the flash rom. The
    boot loader of a PC is usually LILO or GRUB, in your device it might be
    U-Boot, ppcboot or something else, depending of your device.

    This program (bootloader) needs to know about the real low-level stuff, e.g.
    where the kernel is located, where it has to be stored in memory, how it has
    to be executed. All this is done by the bootloader; but before executing
    there are some variabled which need initialisation, so that the kernel knows
    where it came from (like the kernel append-line, boot device, where to find
    the root filesystem etc.)

    Only after all these steps are done, the kernel is executed.

    Your problem is probably the very first - finding and loading the kernel.
    This is done by the bootloader.

    Regards

  5. Re: kernel upgrade

    Sebestian,
    Thnx for the information. i am pasting the boot o/p that I am
    seeing. From the boot o/p you can see that the card is trying to send
    DCHP/RARP requests. On the Host side I ran ethereal to capture these
    requests but there aren't any pkts from this card's mac address.
    If I use kernel2.4 in the same configuration , the card boots up
    properly.

    While building kernel I have kept CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y.

    Is there a way I can see if the card is actually sending a DHCP
    discover message.It is surely not reaching the host so I want to
    confirm is the Card preparing a message or is it just saying that it is
    sending a message.

    thanks
    Mudit

    -----------
    P1(2.01)=>bootm
    ## Booting image at 08000000 ...
    Image Name: Linux-2.6.10_mvlcge401-katana
    Image Type: PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
    Data Size: 1909063 Bytes = 1.8 MB
    Load Address: 00000000
    Entry Point: 00000000
    Verifying Checksum ... OK
    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
    Total memory = 256MB; using 512kB for hash table (at c0480000)
    Linux version 2.6.10_mvlcge401-katana (root@hdrlin03) (gcc version
    3.4.3 (MontaV
    ista 3.4.3-25.0.41.0501420 2005-09-07)) #8 Fri Nov 3 11:02:24 IST 2006
    RMON: rmon_first_init
    Artesyn Communication Products, LLC - Katana(TM)
    Real-Time Preemption Support (c) Ingo Molnar
    Built 1 zonelists
    Kernel command line: ip=on
    PID hash table entries: 2048 (order: 11, 32768 bytes)
    time_init: decrementer frequency = 33.333333 MHz
    Console: colour dummy device 80x25
    Dentry cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
    Inode-cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
    Memory: 254584k available (2856k kernel code, 1460k data, 152k init, 0k
    highmem)

    RMON - kernel resource monitoring
    Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
    spawn_desched_task(00000000)
    desched cpu_callback 3/00000000
    ksoftirqd started up.
    softirq RT prio: 24.
    desched cpu_callback 2/00000000
    desched thread 0 started up.
    NET: Registered protocol family 16
    PCI: Probing PCI hardware
    VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
    Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
    JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2003 Red Hat, Inc.
    SGI XFS with ACLs, no debug enabled
    SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
    Initializing Cryptographic API
    Fast Real Time Domain (c) 2005 Montavista Software, Inc.
    FRD major device number is 254
    Generic RTC Driver v1.07
    Serial: MPSC driver $Revision: 1.00 $
    ttyMM0 at MMIO 0xd10bc000 (irq = 36) is a MPSC
    ttyMM1 at MMIO 0xd10c2000 (irq = 38) is a MPSC
    io scheduler noop registered
    io scheduler anticipatory registered
    io scheduler deadline registered
    io scheduler cfq registered
    RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize
    loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
    MV-643xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet Driver
    eth0: port 2 with MAC address 00:80:f9:64:a8:c0
    eth0: RX NAPI Enabled
    i2c /dev entries driver
    IPMB I2C Client 0.07 05 Nov 2004 - Loaded on address 0x08 (0x10)
    mv64xxx: i2c slave interface enabled
    Local Slave Address: 80
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    idebus=xx
    elevator: using anticipatory as default io scheduler
    physmap flash device: 4000000 at e0000000
    phys_mapped_flash: Found 2 x16 devices at 0x0 in 32-bit bank
    Intel/Sharp Extended Query Table at 0x0031
    Using buffer write method
    cfi_cmdset_0001: Erase suspend on write enabled
    cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
    RedBoot partition parsing not available
    Using physmap partition definition
    Creating 6 MTD partitions on "phys_mapped_flash":
    0x00000000-0x00100000 : "Monitor"
    0x00100000-0x00300000 : "Primary Kernel"
    0x00300000-0x02080000 : "Primary Filesystem"
    0x02080000-0x02280000 : "Secondary Kernel"
    0x02280000-0x04000000 : "Secondary Filesystem"
    0x00100000-0x04000000 : "User FLASH"
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    NET: Registered protocol family 2
    IP: routing cache hash table of 256 buckets, 14Kbytes
    NET: Registered protocol family 1
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    Sending DHCP and RARP requests ...... timed out!
    IP-Config: Retrying forever (NFS root)...
    ------------

    Sebastian wrote:
    > > Do you mean that since the sdram and flash chips are different they
    > > would need a differnet bootloader . Since I am new to this could you
    > > help me understand the relation of kernel to the bootloader. ? Thanks
    > > in advance for the information.

    > First after switching on, a bootloader needs to be loaded. In a Standard-PC
    > this is done by the BIOS, which loads the boot loader. In your device this
    > is probably done by the firmware loading some sectors of the flash rom. The
    > boot loader of a PC is usually LILO or GRUB, in your device it might be
    > U-Boot, ppcboot or something else, depending of your device.
    >
    > This program (bootloader) needs to know about the real low-level stuff, e.g.
    > where the kernel is located, where it has to be stored in memory, how it has
    > to be executed. All this is done by the bootloader; but before executing
    > there are some variabled which need initialisation, so that the kernel knows
    > where it came from (like the kernel append-line, boot device, where to find
    > the root filesystem etc.)
    >
    > Only after all these steps are done, the kernel is executed.
    >
    > Your problem is probably the very first - finding and loading the kernel.
    > This is done by the bootloader.
    >
    > Regards

+ Reply to Thread