Two nodes under /dev/EEPROM/ for one EEPROM - Embedded

This is a discussion on Two nodes under /dev/EEPROM/ for one EEPROM - Embedded ; I have an 24c64 EEPROM wired via i2c on an embedded device. I want to "partition" the EEPROM so that I have one node /dev/EEPROM/0 for system and environment stuff, and another entry /dev/EEPROM/1 for custom data for the application. ...

  1. Two nodes under /dev/EEPROM/ for one EEPROM

    I have an 24c64 EEPROM wired via i2c on an embedded device. I want to
    "partition" the EEPROM so that I have one node /dev/EEPROM/0 for system
    and environment stuff, and another entry /dev/EEPROM/1 for custom data
    for the application.
    I thought to write a driver for the second device and limit the usage
    of the first one. But I guess that would be bad practice when
    concurrent access to the EEPROM happens.

    What would be a good way to achieve this? Do you think it's possible at
    all?

    Ben

  2. Re: Two nodes under /dev/EEPROM/ for one EEPROM

    > I have an 24c64 EEPROM wired via i2c on an embedded device. I want to
    > "partition" the EEPROM so that I have one node /dev/EEPROM/0 for system
    > and environment stuff, and another entry /dev/EEPROM/1 for custom data
    > for the application.

    If you use MTD devices, you can have /dev/mtd/0 as the whole EEPROM,
    /dev/mtd/1 as the first partition, /dev/mtd/2 as the second partition and so
    on.

    Take a look at it: Memory Technology Devices
    They are eg. used in the D-Box2, where the complete system sits on an 8M
    flash chip; there are different partitions (booloader, / (ro-fs), /var
    (rw-fs) and so on.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread