html display engine? - Embedded

This is a discussion on html display engine? - Embedded ; I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an embedded box with a framebuffer. I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on the same machine, and ...

  1. html display engine?

    I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an
    embedded box with a framebuffer.

    I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on
    the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up
    a pipe between the two if needed. I don't need popups, surfing,
    cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

    Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a
    starting point?

    --Yan

  2. Re: html display engine?

    > I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an
    > embedded box with a framebuffer.

    Use a ready-to-run browser if you want to save work. :-)

    > I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on
    > the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up
    > a pipe between the two if needed. I don't need popups, surfing,
    > cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

    Not every browser supports popups, scripts, ssl or whatever.

    > Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a
    > starting point?

    Links supports the framebuffer for output in graphics mode, so you can take
    a look there.
    If you really only need your forms, you could take lynx or whatever in some
    form of text console.

    But if you want to write your own code - this is up to you.

    Regards

  3. Re: html display engine?

    Sebastian wrote:
    >> I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an
    >> embedded box with a framebuffer.

    > Use a ready-to-run browser if you want to save work. :-)

    The big sticking point is the javascript. The only embeddable, FOSS
    browser that supports JS and forms we've found is Konqueror, and it is
    dog-slow on our little platform.

    >> I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on
    >> the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up
    >> a pipe between the two if needed. I don't need popups, surfing,
    >> cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

    > Not every browser supports popups, scripts, ssl or whatever.
    >
    >> Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a
    >> starting point?

    > Links supports the framebuffer for output in graphics mode, so you can take
    > a look there.

    Except that links doesn't do javascript. The Javascript implementation
    is partial, and the code is a mess. (And I am Czech, so I can even read
    the comments - but the code is still a mess.)

    > But if you want to write your own code - this is up to you.

    I'm trying to avoid that. :-)

  4. Re: html display engine?

    > >> I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an
    > >> embedded box with a framebuffer.

    > > Use a ready-to-run browser if you want to save work. :-)

    > The big sticking point is the javascript. The only embeddable, FOSS
    > browser that supports JS and forms we've found is Konqueror, and it is
    > dog-slow on our little platform.

    That is of course a problem. Btw: What do you mean by "FOSS"?
    The only way I see right now would be to find a browser which suits you
    needs (Konqueror doesn't and any other cannot be found), write your own
    (horrible job), or switch to something server-sided (like php or something).

    Maybe there is an javascript-interpreter which runs as a pipe, then you
    could feed the scripts through this interpreter and afterwards put it onto
    the screen (links might be applicable there).

    > >> I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on
    > >> the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up
    > >> a pipe between the two if needed. I don't need popups, surfing,
    > >> cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

    > > Not every browser supports popups, scripts, ssl or whatever.
    > >
    > >> Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a
    > >> starting point?

    > > Links supports the framebuffer for output in graphics mode, so you can

    take
    > > a look there.

    > Except that links doesn't do javascript. The Javascript implementation
    > is partial, and the code is a mess. (And I am Czech, so I can even read
    > the comments - but the code is still a mess.)

    I never looked through the sources (cannot program C), so I don't know
    anything about it.
    But someone got it running on Tuxbox (Linux on a PPC settop-box) and it
    worked somehow, so it should work on everything

    > > But if you want to write your own code - this is up to you.

    > I'm trying to avoid that. :-)

    If you can remove the javascript code from your forms (or reduce it to
    something links understands), you have that opportunity. But if that's not
    possible, I don't think you can avoid that.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  5. Re: html display engine?

    Sebastian wrote:

    > That is of course a problem. Btw: What do you mean by "FOSS"?

    Free and Open Source Software.

    --Yan

  6. Re: html display engine?

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:08:02 -0700
    CptDondo wrote:

    > I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript
    > on an embedded box with a framebuffer.
    >
    > I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web
    > server on the same machine, and get the pages locally as
    > well, so I could hack up

    Try here:

    http://elinks.or.cz/documentation/installation.html

    elinks supports javascript with a component of mozilla packaged
    as SpiderMonkey.

    TonyB

    Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    change color and fall from the trees.
    David Letterman (1947 - )

    --
    __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org