Memory hole - Embedded

This is a discussion on Memory hole - Embedded ; I have a embedded board with 64MB RAM which is not contiguous. The first chunk of 32MB starts from the physical address 0x00000000 and the second chuck of 32Mb starts from physical address 0x04000000. That means there is memory gap ...

  1. Memory hole

    I have a embedded board with 64MB RAM which is not contiguous.
    The first chunk of 32MB starts from the physical address 0x00000000 and
    the second chuck of 32Mb starts from physical address 0x04000000. That
    means there is memory gap of 32MB.

    Can i some how tell linux to use this type of memory arrangement as
    64MB in total?
    Plz comment.

    Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestions.

  2. Re: Memory hole

    Sunil wrote:
    > I have a embedded board with 64MB RAM which is not contiguous.
    > The first chunk of 32MB starts from the physical address 0x00000000 and
    > the second chuck of 32Mb starts from physical address 0x04000000. That
    > means there is memory gap of 32MB.
    >
    > Can i some how tell linux to use this type of memory arrangement as
    > 64MB in total?

    Typically one can pass kernel command line parameters at boot time
    specifying the memory layout. Of course, this is architecture-specific
    code so you'd need to check the code for your architecture. And it's
    typically possible to specify a "default" kernel command line string at
    compile time. The parameters typically look like this:

    mem=32m@0 mem=32m@64m

    GH

+ Reply to Thread