How to read the data from the first sector of HDD - Embedded

This is a discussion on How to read the data from the first sector of HDD - Embedded ; >> You can't access any hardware from user mode (programs) in Linux, only >> from Kernel drivers. > > Not strictly true. I've written user land software to access the "lpt" > port on a "stardard" PC, and much code ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: How to read the data from the first sector of HDD

    >> You can't access any hardware from user mode (programs) in Linux, only
    >> from Kernel drivers.

    > Not strictly true. I've written user land software to access the "lpt"
    > port on a "stardard" PC, and much code to access peripherals on various
    > non-IA86 based SBCs.
    >
    > However the sentiment is correct - your really shouldn't do this unless
    > you have to. There are usually restrictions in place to prevent you doing
    > it accidently.

    If you use I/O ports that are not used by the Kernel in any way, this
    kind of "hack" can be a decent way to avoid the hassle ow writing a
    Kernel driver. But when trying to access a harddisk its strictly no-no.

    -Michael

  2. Re: How to read the data from the first sector of HDD

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    > >> You can't access any hardware from user mode (programs) in Linux, only
    > >> from Kernel drivers.

    > > Not strictly true. I've written user land software to access the "lpt"
    > > port on a "stardard" PC, and much code to access peripherals on various
    > > non-IA86 based SBCs.
    > >
    > > However the sentiment is correct - your really shouldn't do this unless
    > > you have to. There are usually restrictions in place to prevent you doing
    > > it accidently.

    > If you use I/O ports that are not used by the Kernel in any way, this
    > kind of "hack" can be a decent way to avoid the hassle ow writing a
    > Kernel driver. But when trying to access a harddisk its strictly no-no.

    :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2