HDD Diagnostic Application - Embedded

This is a discussion on HDD Diagnostic Application - Embedded ; Hello to all, I m a beginner in the Linux platform. Since last two years,i was working on Embedded C,C++ on the keil compiler, on the 89C51RD2. I have also worked on the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with EVC++. According ...

  1. HDD Diagnostic Application

    Hello to all,

    I m a beginner in the Linux platform. Since last two years,i was
    working on Embedded C,C++ on the keil compiler, on the 89C51RD2. I have
    also worked on the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with EVC++.
    According to my new project, i would like to write the diagnostic
    application for the PC type device (32 bit processor) i.e i have to
    test the functionality of each and every hardware like CPU,HDD,Serial
    Ports,RAID,etc.The client has given the procedure to carry out each
    test.
    As per the requirement the procedure to test HDD should be

    # Check HDD

    1. Validates the hard-disk device by writing a pattern onto an unused
    sector and compares with the expected pattern.

    2. Checks all the sectors (HDD surface test) and report bad sectors.

    3. Retains the original sector contents.

    Can anyone please help me to start the application.

    Please guide me...

    Thanks and Regards,
    Nutty.

  2. Re: HDD Diagnostic Application

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:33:24 -0700, Nutty wrote:

    > Hello to all,
    >
    > I m a beginner in the Linux platform. Since last two years,i was
    > working on Embedded C,C++ on the keil compiler, on the 89C51RD2. I have
    > also worked on the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with EVC++.
    > According to my new project, i would like to write the diagnostic
    > application for the PC type device (32 bit processor) i.e i have to
    > test the functionality of each and every hardware like CPU,HDD,Serial
    > Ports,RAID,etc.The client has given the procedure to carry out each
    > test.
    > As per the requirement the procedure to test HDD should be
    >
    > # Check HDD
    >
    > 1. Validates the hard-disk device by writing a pattern onto an unused
    > sector and compares with the expected pattern.
    >
    > 2. Checks all the sectors (HDD surface test) and report bad sectors.

    You are aware that this behaviour is almost entirely meaningless for IDE
    devices ?

    > 3. Retains the original sector contents.
    >
    > Can anyone please help me to start the application.
    >
    > Please guide me...

    See dd and errorlevel - you can write this in bash script, but its a bit
    pointless. Once a modern drive flags a bad sector (which it will do when
    written to) its a bin job, the internal software on the drives remaps bad
    sectors on the fly so once one shows through its game over.

    To test an IDE disk simply write to all sectors within the volume and if
    you hit an error bin it - true for most newer SCSI drives as well. You can
    write patterns if you like, it will just take much longer to fail in the
    same place !

    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    or for the more "patterny" version

    # dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda

    Have you calculated how long all patterns within a sector for a 250GB disk
    would take ?

    Jon

  3. Re: HDD Diagnostic Application

    Unknown wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:33:24 -0700, Nutty wrote:
    >
    > > Hello to all,
    > >
    > > I m a beginner in the Linux platform. Since last two years,i was
    > > working on Embedded C,C++ on the keil compiler, on the 89C51RD2. I have
    > > also worked on the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with EVC++.
    > > According to my new project, i would like to write the diagnostic
    > > application for the PC type device (32 bit processor) i.e i have to
    > > test the functionality of each and every hardware like CPU,HDD,Serial
    > > Ports,RAID,etc.The client has given the procedure to carry out each
    > > test.
    > > As per the requirement the procedure to test HDD should be
    > >
    > > # Check HDD
    > >
    > > 1. Validates the hard-disk device by writing a pattern onto an unused
    > > sector and compares with the expected pattern.
    > >
    > > 2. Checks all the sectors (HDD surface test) and report bad sectors.

    > You are aware that this behaviour is almost entirely meaningless for IDE
    > devices ?
    >

    > > 3. Retains the original sector contents.
    > >
    > > Can anyone please help me to start the application.
    > >
    > > Please guide me...
    > >

    > See dd and errorlevel - you can write this in bash script, but its a bit
    > pointless. Once a modern drive flags a bad sector (which it will do when
    > written to) its a bin job, the internal software on the drives remaps bad
    > sectors on the fly so once one shows through its game over.
    >
    > To test an IDE disk simply write to all sectors within the volume and if
    > you hit an error bin it - true for most newer SCSI drives as well. You can
    > write patterns if you like, it will just take much longer to fail in the
    > same place !
    >
    > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
    >
    > or for the more "patterny" version
    >
    > # dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda
    >
    > Have you calculated how long all patterns within a sector for a 250GB disk
    > would take ?
    >
    > Jon

    Thanks a lot Jon!!!

    I know it is ime cosuming, but it is one of the requirement of the
    project

    Can u tell me how to write the dd command in the C programming??
    Actually i have to write the C program or the HDD test without using
    shell scriping.

    Please guide me!!

    Thanks & Reagards,
    Nutty.