Peak CAN drivers on ARM - Embedded

This is a discussion on Peak CAN drivers on ARM - Embedded ; Has anyone been able to compile and use the PEAK CAN drivers on an ARM processor? I have an Intel IXP425 processor board and a PEAK dual channel CAN card but the drivers cause modprobe to partially load the driver ...

  1. Peak CAN drivers on ARM

    Has anyone been able to compile and use the PEAK CAN drivers on an ARM
    processor? I have an Intel IXP425 processor board and a PEAK dual channel
    CAN card but the drivers cause modprobe to partially load the driver and
    then core dump.

    Peak was pretty much useless when I asked them for help. The answer I got
    was "we are not aware of anyone using the card with an ARM processor. If
    you figure it out then please let us know how you did it."

    I also noted that their driver did not compile cleanly with the 2.6 source
    tree. I had to rearrange some of the includes in the source files to get
    a clean compile. I kept getting an undefined macro: something about a
    PAGE_SIZE number. Compilation success was also dependent upon the level
    of CAN device support I included. When compiling the driver for an ISA
    only CAN card it would not compile. I had to include support for another
    type of CAN device in addition: something like a USB or parallel port
    dongle.

    thoughts?

  2. Re: Peak CAN drivers on ARM

    noone ha scritto:
    > Has anyone been able to compile and use the PEAK CAN drivers on an ARM
    > processor? I have an Intel IXP425 processor board and a PEAK dual channel
    > CAN card but the drivers cause modprobe to partially load the driver and
    > then core dump.
    >
    > Peak was pretty much useless when I asked them for help. The answer I got
    > was "we are not aware of anyone using the card with an ARM processor. If
    > you figure it out then please let us know how you did it."
    >
    > I also noted that their driver did not compile cleanly with the 2.6 source
    > tree. I had to rearrange some of the includes in the source files to get
    > a clean compile. I kept getting an undefined macro: something about a
    > PAGE_SIZE number. Compilation success was also dependent upon the level
    > of CAN device support I included. When compiling the driver for an ISA
    > only CAN card it would not compile. I had to include support for another
    > type of CAN device in addition: something like a USB or parallel port
    > dongle.
    >
    > thoughts?

    Hi,
    please post more details, logs, dmesg about the problem you're facing to.

    BTW I suggest you to use SocketCAN that have PEAK CAN devices support,
    because Socket-CAN provides an API for CAN devices based on BSD sockets.
    Both an implementation within the Linux networking stack and a hard-RT
    capable variant for RTDM are being developed. This is a more modern and
    easy to use CAN driver than traditional one.
    We provide an original SocketCAN patch for kernel 2.6.18 here
    http://www.koansoftware.com/en/prd_svil_projects.htm
    and the website is here
    http://developer.berlios.de/projects/socketcan/

    regards