Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB - Embedded

This is a discussion on Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB - Embedded ; Hello all, I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't support booting via USB. Do I need make a special floppy ...

  1. Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB

    Hello all,
    I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a
    external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't
    support booting via USB.

    Do I need make a special floppy that does the boot process and loads
    the usb modules?
    Did anyone succeed in boot on a without BIOS-support from USB?

    Thanks in advance,

    David

  2. Re: Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB

    David,
    > Hello all,
    > I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a
    > external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't
    > support booting via USB.
    >
    > Do I need make a special floppy that does the boot process and loads
    > the usb modules?

    Sounds like a good plan.
    Alternately, you could boot the kernel+modules from ethernet, cdrom or
    from the BIOS itself (see linuxbios.org )

    regards,

    | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
    | Software Engineer email: Damion_deSoto@au.securecomputing.com
    | Secure Computing Corporation web: http://www.securecomputing.com
    | fax: +61 7 3891 3630 ph: +61 7 3435 2809
    ---- Free Embedded Linux Distro at http://www.snapgear.org ----

  3. Re: Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB

    Hello,

    > I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a
    > external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't
    > support booting via USB.

    Then you can't boot from USB without some special arrangements.

    > Do I need make a special floppy that does the boot process and loads
    > the usb modules?

    That may be an idea. Take a look at Damn Small - they should provide a
    floppy.
    It is also possible that solutions like Etherboot (www.etherboot.org) exist
    for booting from USB.
    Maybe this is a help to you:
    http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2...il/006789.html

    > Did anyone succeed in boot on a without BIOS-support from USB?

    I didn't try, because I don't have a computer without this capability.
    Either the computer can boot from USB or it doesn't have it at all :-)

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread