Driver installation - Embedded

This is a discussion on Driver installation - Embedded ; Hello, How do I know if already a driver is installed for my device. Is there any command or any pointer which can give me this information. At what location is the driver generally loaded. Thanks in Advance....

  1. Driver installation

    Hello,

    How do I know if already a driver is installed for my device. Is there
    any command or any pointer which can give me this information. At what
    location is the driver generally loaded.

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. Re: Driver installation

    > How do I know if already a driver is installed for my device. Is there
    > any command or any pointer which can give me this information. At what
    > location is the driver generally loaded.

    What are you trying to accomplish ?

    In Linux the driver _is_ the device.

    AFAIK, the (virtual) address of the driver code is not "general" but
    individually set when doing insmod. Why do you want to know the address
    of the diver code ?

    -Michael

  3. Re: Driver installation

    Nilesh wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > How do I know if already a driver is installed for my device. Is there
    > any command or any pointer which can give me this information. At what
    > location is the driver generally loaded.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

    Hi Nilesh,
    driver files are usually object files infact kernel module object
    files.and if u r using them it means they are under execution and the
    location ,interms of memory location details,
    would be either a part of the monolithic kernel(a builtin) or a module
    that gets loaded and unloaded as per the need.
    Typically ur drivers are modules.and to chk what are all the device
    driver modules present in ur system issues the /sbin/lsmod command.
    the object files are available in the /lib/modules/
    subdirectories.
    Also take the help of /proc details as they can give u device specific
    and kernel internal info.
    /proc/devices would list the kernel modules with their major numbers.
    Take up these major numbers and look into the /dev directory for the
    files which have these major numbers attatched to them.

    man -> insmod,rmmod,modprobe.
    cat /proc/ -> device,interrupts

    drivers are very very specific for the devices.post ur requirement more
    specifically for a better help
    -kaushal

  4. Re: Driver installation

    Thanks Krishna that was really helpful info.
    I've Linux installed on ARM9.
    When I give command lsmod or cat /proc/modules, I cannot see any
    modules.
    So aren't these installed at boot time.
    But I can see the devices loaded by cat /proc/devices.
    How do I check what all drivers are currently present on my system.

    Thanks,
    Nilesh

  5. Re: Driver installation

    Nilesh wrote:
    > Thanks Krishna that was really helpful info.
    > I've Linux installed on ARM9.
    > When I give command lsmod or cat /proc/modules, I cannot see any
    > modules.

    The dirvers might not be modules.Instead they cud be part of the
    kernel.Builtins for the kernel.
    In that case u won't find them in lsmod.Try doing 'dmesg' command for
    the list of devices installed during the boot time.Also u can chk
    /var/log/messages for that sake.

    > So aren't these installed at boot time.
    > But I can see the devices loaded by cat /proc/devices.
    > How do I check what all drivers are currently present on my system.

    Hence dmesg output and lsmod output together consitute the total
    drivers present in ur system.

    > Thanks,
    > Nilesh

    -kaushal