Cross compiling a module? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Cross compiling a module? - Embedded ; I have a USB module that I want to cross compile for an Linux ARM kernel (2.4 and 2.6). I can't seem to find the proper steps to do it. Any one have any pointers? Thanks PS if anyone notices, ...

  1. Cross compiling a module?

    I have a USB module that I want to cross compile for an Linux ARM
    kernel (2.4 and 2.6). I can't seem to find the proper steps to do
    it. Any one have any pointers?

    Thanks

    PS if anyone notices, sorry I posted to the wrong group initially
    (comp.os.linux.misc) that's why this is not cross posted. I think it's
    a little late to cancel the other post.

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

  2. Re: Cross compiling a module?

    You need to set up a cross compile environment. You can either do it the
    hard way on your own (see "HowTo CrossCompile") or use some commercial
    offer. Reading the ARM Kernel user group and looking at their Website
    might help, too.

    -Michael

  3. Re: Cross compiling a module?

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:43:29 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
    > You need to set up a cross compile environment. You can either do it the
    > hard way on your own (see "HowTo CrossCompile") or use some commercial
    > offer. Reading the ARM Kernel user group and looking at their Website
    > might help, too.

    Hmm, seemed to have missed adding this to this message (sorry):

    I have the cross compiler installed and running. I can compile code
    but I haven't built any larger packages. That's the next thing I need
    to work on. I'll check out the ARM kernel group and see what I can
    learn. Thanks

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ Backup site

  4. Re: Cross compiling a module?

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:19:47 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:43:29 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
    >> You need to set up a cross compile environment. You can either do it the
    >> hard way on your own (see "HowTo CrossCompile") or use some commercial
    >> offer. Reading the ARM Kernel user group and looking at their Website
    >> might help, too.

    > Hmm, seemed to have missed adding this to this message (sorry):
    >
    > I have the cross compiler installed and running. I can compile code
    > but I haven't built any larger packages. That's the next thing I need
    > to work on. I'll check out the ARM kernel group and see what I can
    > learn. Thanks

    Neil:

    A couple of hints: if your Makefiles are set up right, you may just need
    to do something like this:

    make KERNEL_DIR=/home/local/panel/src/linux24 KERNEL_VERSION=2.4 CC=arm-linux-gcc

    Your best bet is to look inside the Makefile for the module source. If
    you are rolling your own, just grab an add-on module tarball from
    somewhere and see if you can compile that, then modify Makefile to suit
    your source.

    2.4 and 2.6 have different setups for compiling; I've not had much luck
    without modifying the Makefile for my specific kernel and environment.

    As a last resort, you can try to graft your module into the kernel tree;
    I've done that a couple of times when the Makefile is so convoluted (a pox
    on automake!) that I can't make sense of it.

    --Yan

    --
    o__
    ,>/'_ o__