Real time Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on Real time Linux - Embedded ; Hi guys, I am a newbie of this newsgroup..and reading some posts i thought it was a good place to have help.. I am working on a hw platform on which is installed Windows CE 5.0, the platform is based ...

  1. Real time Linux

    Hi guys,
    I am a newbie of this newsgroup..and reading some posts i thought it was a
    good place to have help..

    I am working on a hw platform on which is installed Windows CE 5.0,
    the platform is based on a Samsung S3C2440-300 and has 32Mb of flash, 32 Mb
    Ram
    3 Serial, 2 USB host ...etc. i would like to change the OS and install Linux
    OS
    trying to do "Hard Real Time" tasks
    Unfortunately I have not a huge experience on Linux and i really do not know
    which distribution/kernel use
    and how to install it.
    I hope u can guide me in this experience.

    Thanks in advance,
    Kikko

  2. Re: Real time Linux

    Kikko wrote:
    (some edits give...)
    > the platform is a Samsung S3C2440-300 and has 32Mb of flash, 32Mb RAM,
    > 3 Serial, 2 USB host ...etc. i would like to install Linux

    Kikko
    What you want to do is not a small project, even
    for an experienced developer. You might want to
    start by playing with a Kwikbyte or Gumstix kit
    that comes with Linux. Also, you'll need a JTAG
    debugger or some other way to install a bootloader.

    The next step would be to go through all of the
    chapters in the excellent book, "Cross Linux From
    Scratch". It is at: http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

    good luck!
    Bob

  3. Re: Real time Linux

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Kikko wrote:

    > I am working on a hw platform on which is installed Windows CE 5.0,
    > the platform is based on a Samsung S3C2440-300 and has 32Mb of flash, 32 Mb
    > Ram
    > 3 Serial, 2 USB host ...etc. i would like to change the OS and install Linux
    > OS
    > trying to do "Hard Real Time" tasks
    > Unfortunately I have not a huge experience on Linux and i really do not know
    > which distribution/kernel use
    > and how to install it.

    For hard realtime, people always advice kernels from kernel.org,
    unpatched by any distributor. "People" here means:

    Both have very actively supported mailinglists and installation
    documentation.

    Herman

    --
    K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
    Tel: +32 16 322480

  4. Re: Real time Linux

    Win CE can't do hard realtime.

    Linux can't do hard realtime either.

    If you want to do hard realtime, you need to use some other OS or
    enhance Linux by a hard realtime add-on.

    From the top of my head I know these alternatives:

    Free software: RTAI is a Linux add-on that allows for running real time
    tasks together with Linux.

    Commercial products:
    - TimeSys claim to have a Linux version that does Realtime for normal
    Linux processes
    - Montavista seems to offer something similar but I have not much
    information on this
    - SysGo has a thing that is called PIKE-OS and enhances their ELinOS
    Linux distribution. It is a virtualization platform that runs Linux as a
    guest OS and comes with a POSIX based guest OS to do hard realtime
    stuff. The guest OSes are run in "boxes" and can't destroy the resources
    of the virtualization platform and the other guests (So Linux can be
    rebooted by a watchdog without harming the realtime stuff).
    Communication channels between the guests are provided.

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread