source code or configuration settings (.ELF and .BIN) - Embedded

This is a discussion on source code or configuration settings (.ELF and .BIN) - Embedded ; Hi, ..ELF to .BIN conversion is working for one set of source code , but it is not working with another set of code . I do the following for converting the .ELF to .BIN : "m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary clock.elf ...

  1. source code or configuration settings (.ELF and .BIN)

    Hi,

    ..ELF to .BIN conversion is working for one set of source code , but it
    is not working with another set of code .

    I do the following for converting the .ELF to .BIN :
    "m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary clock.elf clock.bin".

    Does source code have any role in affecting the generation of .ELF to
    ..BIN ?
    OR
    Does configuration settings of the compiler that generates the .ELF
    file has influence ?

    I find that the configuration settings of both the set of source codes
    are the same, but
    the ".ELF to .BIN" is happening for one set of source code's .ELF file
    , but it is not happening for the other set of source code files.
    Really strange ???

    Does the source code play a role in causing problem for converting the
    ..ELF to .BIN file ?

    I am using Codewarrior for compilation and generation of .ELF file.
    I use m68k-elf-objcopy (cygwin tool) for conversion of .ELF to .BIN
    file for fusing the .BIN in flash memory.

    Tonnes of Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: source code or configuration settings (.ELF and .BIN)

    KBG wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > .ELF to .BIN conversion is working for one set of source code , but it
    > is not working with another set of code .
    >
    > I do the following for converting the .ELF to .BIN :
    > "m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary clock.elf clock.bin".
    >
    > Does source code have any role in affecting the generation of .ELF to
    > .BIN ?
    > OR
    > Does configuration settings of the compiler that generates the .ELF
    > file has influence ?
    >
    > I find that the configuration settings of both the set of source codes
    > are the same, but
    > the ".ELF to .BIN" is happening for one set of source code's .ELF file
    > , but it is not happening for the other set of source code files.
    > Really strange ???
    >
    > Does the source code play a role in causing problem for converting the
    > .ELF to .BIN file ?
    >
    > I am using Codewarrior for compilation and generation of .ELF file.
    > I use m68k-elf-objcopy (cygwin tool) for conversion of .ELF to .BIN
    > file for fusing the .BIN in flash memory.
    >
    > Tonnes of Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    1. If you HAVE to post the question into several newsgroups,
    please cross-post (all newsgroups mentioned in the same post)
    instead of posting separate messages (called multi-posting).

    2. Where do the sections in the file start? You may need section
    selectors and start offset selections for the copy if the code
    section does not start at absolute zero. The conversion is
    attempting to fill the unused address space from zero with a
    filler till the proper address is reached and the resulting
    binary file will be HUGE. The same consideration applies of
    course to the constant data and volatile data intialization
    sections of the ELF file.

    The proper tool to direct the sections to correct locations
    is the linker script to ld used when building the ELF file.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

+ Reply to Thread