How to do installation of embedded Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on How to do installation of embedded Linux - Embedded ; Dear Friends, Hi , I am rahul would like to have your guidence. Actually i have Embedded CPU module (Advantech make) it's just like a normal PC . and instead of HDD i have 2GB flash memory. I want to ...

  1. How to do installation of embedded Linux

    Dear Friends,

    Hi , I am rahul would like to have your guidence. Actually i have
    Embedded CPU module (Advantech make) it's just like a normal PC . and
    instead of HDD i have 2GB flash memory. I want to install RedHat Linux
    on this Flash memory with NI LabView Runtime engine. So I would like to
    request you to tell me how do optimum installation of linux. And also i
    want to hide the start-up messeges and screen of Linux

    Wishing that you all will reply to my querry

    Regards
    Rahul

  2. Re: How to do installation of embedded Linux

    rahul wrote:

    > Dear Friends,
    >
    > Hi , I am rahul would like to have your guidence. Actually i have
    > Embedded CPU module (Advantech make) it's just like a normal PC . and
    > instead of HDD i have 2GB flash memory. I want to install RedHat Linux
    > on this Flash memory with NI LabView Runtime engine. So I would like to
    > request you to tell me how do optimum installation of linux. And also i
    > want to hide the start-up messeges and screen of Linux
    >
    > Wishing that you all will reply to my querry
    >
    > Regards
    > Rahul

    Check if Advantech has already a kernel with development environment etc.
    for you. If you want absolute redhat on the system you just install the
    kernel source code on you desktop pc and cp the complete tree to you home
    directory to prevent any severe errors by installing a changed kernel over
    your working system. You can also just use a clean vanilla linux kernel
    without all the redhat tweaks (I would prefer that, especially with a flash
    memory of only 2 GB). with make xconfig you just (de)select all the drivers
    and other parts. Create your kernel and test it. Create a filesystem for an
    embedded system ... (yes, you should really read a lot first ...). Use for
    example busybox, tinylogin etc. etc. etc. etc.
    At the very very end you can think of this horrible labview.
    taco

  3. Re: How to do installation of embedded Linux

    Hi Friends,

    Please tell me how to create Exe of NI Labview on linux platform.
    Taco wrote:
    > rahul wrote:
    >
    > > Dear Friends,
    > >
    > > Hi , I am rahul would like to have your guidence. Actually i have
    > > Embedded CPU module (Advantech make) it's just like a normal PC . and
    > > instead of HDD i have 2GB flash memory. I want to install RedHat Linux
    > > on this Flash memory with NI LabView Runtime engine. So I would like to
    > > request you to tell me how do optimum installation of linux. And also i
    > > want to hide the start-up messeges and screen of Linux
    > >
    > > Wishing that you all will reply to my querry
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Rahul

    > Check if Advantech has already a kernel with development environment etc.
    > for you. If you want absolute redhat on the system you just install the
    > kernel source code on you desktop pc and cp the complete tree to you home
    > directory to prevent any severe errors by installing a changed kernel over
    > your working system. You can also just use a clean vanilla linux kernel
    > without all the redhat tweaks (I would prefer that, especially with a flash
    > memory of only 2 GB). with make xconfig you just (de)select all the drivers
    > and other parts. Create your kernel and test it. Create a filesystem for an
    > embedded system ... (yes, you should really read a lot first ...). Use for
    > example busybox, tinylogin etc. etc. etc. etc.
    > At the very very end you can think of this horrible labview.
    > taco

  4. Re: How to do installation of embedded Linux

    Taco wrote:
    > rahul wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Friends,
    >>
    >> Hi , I am rahul would like to have your guidence. Actually i have
    >> Embedded CPU module (Advantech make) it's just like a normal PC . and
    >> instead of HDD i have 2GB flash memory. I want to install RedHat Linux
    >> on this Flash memory with NI LabView Runtime engine. So I would like to
    >> request you to tell me how do optimum installation of linux. And also i
    >> want to hide the start-up messeges and screen of Linux
    >>
    >> Wishing that you all will reply to my querry
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Rahul

    > Check if Advantech has already a kernel with development environment etc.
    > for you. If you want absolute redhat on the system you just install the
    > kernel source code on you desktop pc and cp the complete tree to you home
    > directory to prevent any severe errors by installing a changed kernel over
    > your working system. You can also just use a clean vanilla linux kernel
    > without all the redhat tweaks (I would prefer that, especially with a flash
    > memory of only 2 GB). with make xconfig you just (de)select all the drivers
    > and other parts. Create your kernel and test it. Create a filesystem for an
    > embedded system ... (yes, you should really read a lot first ...). Use for
    > example busybox, tinylogin etc. etc. etc. etc.
    > At the very very end you can think of this horrible labview.
    > taco

    How about 'dd' a 9MB freebsd system into this 2GB flash memory? do you
    think freebsd (6) can run on it?