kernel driver/ user program - Embedded

This is a discussion on kernel driver/ user program - Embedded ; my pci card does dma into a kernel space .my driver(network interface) which contains a handler to handle the dma requests from the card. I want to import the data into my user program and process it befor the next ...

  1. kernel driver/ user program

    my pci card does dma into a kernel space .my driver(network interface)
    which contains a handler to handle the dma requests from the card. I
    want to import the data into my user program and process it befor the
    should I be looking into ?
    -D

  2. Re: kernel driver/ user program

    If you want to directly access the DMA memory from user space I suppose
    you should do a driver that on "open" requests a contiguous memory
    range, on "read" has this mapped to an address range of the calling
    process and output the user land address to the process, and on
    "release" releases the memory.

    -Michael

  3. Re: kernel driver/ user program

    You can not make sure you user application process it before next
    interrupt happens.
    Even kernel process these packet in a botton half. If your stuff has to
    be done before kernel gets hands on it, doing it in your isr or at
    least in kernel space.
    dhruvakshad@gmail.com wrote:
    > my pci card does dma into a kernel space .my driver(network interface)
    > which contains a handler to handle the dma requests from the card. I
    > want to import the data into my user program and process it befor the
    > should I be looking into ?
    > -D

  4. Re: kernel driver/ user program

    What topics should I be looking into to read for doing the transfer
    from kernel to user process?
    thanks,
    Dhruv
    Max wrote:
    > You can not make sure you user application process it before next
    > interrupt happens.
    > Even kernel process these packet in a botton half. If your stuff has to
    > be done before kernel gets hands on it, doing it in your isr or at
    > least in kernel space.
    > dhruvakshad@gmail.com wrote:
    > > my pci card does dma into a kernel space .my driver(network interface)
    > > which contains a handler to handle the dma requests from the card. I
    > > want to import the data into my user program and process it befor the
    > > should I be looking into ?
    > > -D

  5. Re: kernel driver/ user program

    dhruvakshad@gmail.com wrote:
    > What topics should I be looking into to read for doing the transfer
    > from kernel to user process?
    > thanks,
    > Dhruv

    mmap