problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output - Embedded

This is a discussion on problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output - Embedded ; I'm working on a device called The Neuros OSD ( www.theneuros.com ). It is a allround content player based on the DM320 chip. It runs linux 2.6.15 and has a version of the u-Boot bootloader installed. The device has no ...

  1. problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output

    I'm working on a device called The Neuros OSD (www.theneuros.com). It
    is a allround content player based on the DM320 chip. It runs linux
    2.6.15 and has a version of the u-Boot bootloader installed.

    The device has no display whatsoever, so I've connected my device by a
    null modem to my serial port. I tried to use kermit, cu and minicom for
    this, but all give the same errors. First I start the serial client.
    Then when I boot up the device all scrambled information is displayed
    (all kind of weird characters). Then the srambling suddenly stops..
    probably the boot process thinks someone pressed a key. Then when I
    type 'boot' the srambling starts for half a second and then normal
    characters appear (the bootup process of linux)... It looks to me that
    the bootloader uses different serial settings. At this moment they are
    configured at: 115200 8N1...

    I'm really stuck here because I need to configure U-Boot. Anyone any
    ideas about what might be the problem? Just shoot, all help is
    appreciated!

  2. Re: problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output

    Did you set the correct connection speed on the serial terminal
    programs?

    ron.gerrits@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm working on a device called The Neuros OSD (www.theneuros.com). It
    > is a allround content player based on the DM320 chip. It runs linux
    > 2.6.15 and has a version of the u-Boot bootloader installed.
    >
    > The device has no display whatsoever, so I've connected my device by a
    > null modem to my serial port. I tried to use kermit, cu and minicom for
    > this, but all give the same errors. First I start the serial client.
    > Then when I boot up the device all scrambled information is displayed
    > (all kind of weird characters). Then the srambling suddenly stops..
    > probably the boot process thinks someone pressed a key. Then when I
    > type 'boot' the srambling starts for half a second and then normal
    > characters appear (the bootup process of linux)... It looks to me that
    > the bootloader uses different serial settings. At this moment they are
    > configured at: 115200 8N1...
    >
    > I'm really stuck here because I need to configure U-Boot. Anyone any
    > ideas about what might be the problem? Just shoot, all help is
    > appreciated!

  3. Re: problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output

    yamanc@gmail.com schreef:

    > Did you set the correct connection speed on the serial terminal
    > programs?

    Yes, I used these settings for kermit:

    set line /dev/ttySn
    set speed 115200
    set carrier-watch off
    set handshake none
    set flow-control none
    robust
    set file type bin
    set file name lit
    set rec pack 1000
    set send pack 1000
    set window 5

    And comparable settings for minicom and cu.

  4. Re: problems with U-Boot bootloader, scrambled output

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:03:27 -0700, ron.gerrits wrote:

    > I'm working on a device called The Neuros OSD (www.theneuros.com). It
    > is a allround content player based on the DM320 chip. It runs linux
    > 2.6.15 and has a version of the u-Boot bootloader installed.
    >
    > The device has no display whatsoever, so I've connected my device by a
    > null modem to my serial port. I tried to use kermit, cu and minicom for
    > this, but all give the same errors. First I start the serial client.
    > Then when I boot up the device all scrambled information is displayed
    > (all kind of weird characters). Then the srambling suddenly stops..
    > probably the boot process thinks someone pressed a key. Then when I
    > type 'boot' the srambling starts for half a second and then normal
    > characters appear (the bootup process of linux)... It looks to me that
    > the bootloader uses different serial settings. At this moment they are
    > configured at: 115200 8N1...
    >
    > I'm really stuck here because I need to configure U-Boot. Anyone any
    > ideas about what might be the problem? Just shoot, all help is
    > appreciated!

    I don't mean to be a little bit simple - but if uboot is setting a
    different baud from the kernel then if u walk down the bauds from 115200
    setting each one in turn and rebooting the box you should at some point be
    able to see the uboot output ? Are you sure the interface doesn't use
    RTS/CTS and uboot simply has faster paced characters ?

    Jon

+ Reply to Thread