Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux - Embedded ; How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux I am using Mandriva 10.1 Linux , ...

  1. Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in
    Linux

    i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into
    a running process in Linux

    I am using Mandriva 10.1 Linux ,

    please help me out

  2. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    manu wrote:
    > How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in
    > Linux
    >
    > i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into
    > a running process in Linux
    >
    > I am using Mandriva 10.1 Linux ,
    >
    > please help me out

    If you need to post in multiple groups, please crosspost
    instead of posting to each group separately.

    What is the need for injecting the shared libraries
    without the process doing it by itself?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    I want to load the shared library without the process knowing it
    i want to externally do this

    Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > manu wrote:
    > > How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in
    > > Linux
    > >
    > > i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into
    > > a running process in Linux
    > >
    > > I am using Mandriva 10.1 Linux ,
    > >
    > > please help me out
    > >

    > If you need to post in multiple groups, please crosspost
    > instead of posting to each group separately.
    >
    > What is the need for injecting the shared libraries
    > without the process doing it by itself?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tauno Voipio
    > tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  4. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    manu wrote:
    > Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >
    >>manu wrote:
    >>
    >>> How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in
    >>>Linux
    >>>
    >>>i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into
    >>>a running process in Linux
    >>>
    >>>I am using Mandriva 10.1 Linux ,
    >>>
    >>>please help me out
    >>>

    >>If you need to post in multiple groups, please crosspost
    >>instead of posting to each group separately.
    >>
    >>What is the need for injecting the shared libraries
    >>without the process doing it by itself?

    > I want to load the shared library without the process knowing it
    > i want to externally do this

    Once again: WHY?

    Which is the problem you think to solve with this kind of operation?

    Are you attempting to change a shared library which the
    process is already using?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  5. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    On 14 Aug 2006 20:34:09 -0700, "manu" wrote:

    > How Do i Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in
    >Linux
    >
    >i,e into the process address space ?Inject a shared library or DLL into
    >a running process in Linux

    I assume that you are referring to dynamic loading. Take a look at the
    dlopen and dlsym functions.

    Paul

  6. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    manu wrote:
    > I want to load the shared library without the process knowing it

    I dont know of any possibility of doing something like this during runtime.
    I think this should be hardly necessary anyway.

    > i want to externally do this

    Have a look at LD_PRELOAD, if you intend to change the behaviour of standrad
    library functions, this should be sufficient.

    If not you need to post further details of what you are trying to do.

    Sven

    --
    Software patents are the software project equivalent of land mines: Each
    design decision carries a risk of stepping on a patent, which can destroy

  7. Re: Inject a shared library or DLL into a running process in Linux

    Tauno Voipio wrote:

    > Are you attempting to change a shared library which the
    > process is already using?

    This is how I understood the Question of the OP as well.

    Something like this can be achieved using LD_PRELOAD in conjunction with an
    external mechanism (shares memory comes to mind) to change the behaviour of
    a given funktion.

    Sven

    --
    Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
    (Linux Kernel Error Message)

    /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

+ Reply to Thread