PREFIX help - Embedded

This is a discussion on PREFIX help - Embedded ; Could someone please clue me in on how to use these when cross-compiling? Is there some docs somewhere that show this? I am compiling on the build system with my install directory at /usr/local/arm/lib, which is the root of the ...

  1. PREFIX help

    Could someone please clue me in on how to use these when
    cross-compiling? Is there some docs somewhere that show this?

    I am compiling on the build system with my install directory at
    /usr/local/arm/lib, which is the root of the cross-compiled file system.
    If I tell my app (konqueror embedded) to compile with libs at
    /usr/local/arm/lib, then konqueror looks for its libs there when it is
    run.... But if I tell it to use /lib, then the compile will fail
    because it finds incompatible libs (x86) there...

    I am missing something, I know.... Is there a doc somewhere on how to
    use these? What do others use in their config scripts?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

    Installation directories:
    --prefix=PREFIX install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
    [the kde prefix]
    --exec-prefix=EPREFIX install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
    [PREFIX]

    Fine tuning of the installation directories:
    --bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
    --sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
    --libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
    --datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data
    [PREFIX/share]
    --sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
    --sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data
    [PREFIX/com]
    --localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
    --libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
    --includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]
    --oldincludedir=DIR C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
    --infodir=DIR info documentation [PREFIX/info]
    --mandir=DIR man documentation [PREFIX/man]

  2. Re: PREFIX help

    Yan,

    Your cross-compiler toolchain should already know to look in
    /usr/local/arm/lib for all the standard libraries.
    If there are additional libraries that konqueror needs at compile-time,
    then you will probably have to specify them by hand on the compile line.
    Try setting the CFLAGS environment variable to -I/usr/local/arm/include
    and LIBS -l/usr/local/arm/lib and running configure again - hopefully it
    will detect these and build them into the appropriate Makefiles.

    Regards,

    CptDondo wrote:
    > Could someone please clue me in on how to use these when
    > cross-compiling? Is there some docs somewhere that show this?
    >
    > I am compiling on the build system with my install directory at
    > /usr/local/arm/lib, which is the root of the cross-compiled file system.
    > If I tell my app (konqueror embedded) to compile with libs at
    > /usr/local/arm/lib, then konqueror looks for its libs there when it is
    > run.... But if I tell it to use /lib, then the compile will fail
    > because it finds incompatible libs (x86) there...
    >
    > I am missing something, I know.... Is there a doc somewhere on how to
    > use these? What do others use in their config scripts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Yan
    >
    > Installation directories:
    > --prefix=PREFIX install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
    > [the kde prefix]
    > --exec-prefix=EPREFIX install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
    > [PREFIX]
    >
    > Fine tuning of the installation directories:
    > --bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
    > --sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
    > --libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
    > --datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data
    > [PREFIX/share]
    > --sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
    > --sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data
    > [PREFIX/com]
    > --localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
    > --libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
    > --includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]
    > --oldincludedir=DIR C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
    > --infodir=DIR info documentation [PREFIX/info]
    > --mandir=DIR man documentation [PREFIX/man]

    | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
    | Software Engineer email: Damion_deSoto@au.securecomputing.com
    | Secure Computing Corporation web: http://www.securecomputing.com
    | fax: +61 7 3891 3630 ph: +61 7 3435 2809
    ---- Free Embedded Linux Distro at http://www.snapgear.org ----

  3. Re: PREFIX help

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:10:28 +1000, Damion de Soto wrote:

    > Yan,
    >
    > Your cross-compiler toolchain should already know to look in
    > /usr/local/arm/lib for all the standard libraries.
    > If there are additional libraries that konqueror needs at compile-time,
    > then you will probably have to specify them by hand on the compile line.
    > Try setting the CFLAGS environment variable to -I/usr/local/arm/include
    > and LIBS -l/usr/local/arm/lib and running configure again - hopefully it
    > will detect these and build them into the appropriate Makefiles.

    Yeah, I discovered that my dev box had gcc 4.1 installed, which was
    causing all the trouble.... I must have installed it by accident /
    carelessness / stupidity (apt-get dist-upgrade instead of apt-get upgrade
    may have been one way....)

    The toolchain just will not build correctly with gcc 4.1.

    --Yan

    --
    o__
    ,>/'_ o__