GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem - Embedded

This is a discussion on GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem - Embedded ; hi all, I ve an ATHENA board with 512 MB Flash and 128 RAM. If Im trying to install grub in flash it installed properly. But at the boot time it stalled and prints " GRUB loading stage 1.5 GRUB ...

  1. GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem

    hi all,
    I ve an ATHENA board with 512 MB Flash and 128 RAM. If Im trying to
    install grub in flash it installed properly.
    But at the boot time it stalled and prints
    " GRUB loading stage 1.5

    GRUB loading,please wait...
    Error 18 "

    -So How can I solv this problem.
    Is there problem with grub or flash or the bios ?
    Please reply me ASAP.
    -Thank u

  2. Re: GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem

    Hello,

    > I ve an ATHENA board with 512 MB Flash and 128 RAM. If Im trying to
    > install grub in flash it installed properly.

    What is the geometry of the flash chip?

    > But at the boot time it stalled and prints
    > " GRUB loading stage 1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading,please wait...
    > Error 18 "

    I quote from a german forum with probably quotes the documentation
    (first search hit for "grub error 18"):

    18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
    This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address
    beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your
    disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older
    machines or larger than 8GB in general).

    > -So How can I solv this problem.

    I don't know if this helps you, but as I don't know anything about grub (I
    use XFDisk as fdisk as well as bootmanager)

    > Is there problem with grub or flash or the bios ?

    I think it's a problem with the communication between flash and bios. Maybe
    you could try to align differently, otherwise you could make the flash
    (logically) smaller. Don't know if this is possible, though.

    > Please reply me ASAP.

    Done.

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian