Linux 2.6 - Bestcomm - MPC5200B - External module - Embedded

This is a discussion on Linux 2.6 - Bestcomm - MPC5200B - External module - Embedded ; I'm writing a driver for a TI codec attached to the MPC5200B PSC3 codec lines on a Lite5200b. It's an external module, and I'd like to use Bestcomm with it. I've already tried a bunch of horrible things to get ...

  1. Linux 2.6 - Bestcomm - MPC5200B - External module

    I'm writing a driver for a TI codec attached to the MPC5200B PSC3 codec
    lines on a Lite5200b. It's an external module, and I'd like to use
    Bestcomm with it. I've already tried a bunch of horrible things to get
    it to work. I could say it's close, but by close I mean the FEC still
    runs, my stuff doesn't.

    1. Can the Bestcomm I/F be used by an external module, or is the module
    required to be built in if built-in drivers use Bestcomm? TasksInitAPI
    (no so bad) and TasksLoadImage (yeah, bad) aren't really supposed to be
    called more than once from what I've read, and the kernel loads them
    for ethernet and ATA (no disk in my system if that matters).

    2. If it can be used by an external module, how would I do it? I've
    tried compiling the source into my module and replicating the
    initialization the kernel does in addition to my own stuff. It's not
    too bad, though I don't get any interrupts yet.

    The LTIB from Freescale includes AIC23 and AC97 drivers that use
    Bestcomm. I built my kernel with them set as modules, and they had the
    same unresolved problems that my driver has on insmod, so I'm
    pessimistic. If someone could put me out of my misery one way or
    another, I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks.
    Sal

  2. Re: Linux 2.6 - Bestcomm - MPC5200B - External module

    I'm wondering now if this isn't just an export problem. I've seen most
    of the functions I want in /proc/kallsyms, I just need to be able to
    call them from my insmod'd driver. I tried adding some
    EXPORT_SYMBOL(TaskBDReset) type statements to the bestcomm code that
    gets compiled into the kernel, but my loadable module still comes up
    with unresolved symbols.

    I've done a lot of 2.4, this is my first 2.6 work. I read what I could
    this weekend on the differences, but I'm still not quite getting it.
    How would I export the bestcomm API functions so that my external,
    loadable module can access them? Any advice would be apprecitated.

    Thanks.

    trueskew@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm writing a driver for a TI codec attached to the MPC5200B PSC3 codec
    > lines on a Lite5200b. It's an external module, and I'd like to use
    > Bestcomm with it. I've already tried a bunch of horrible things to get
    > it to work. I could say it's close, but by close I mean the FEC still
    > runs, my stuff doesn't.
    >
    > 1. Can the Bestcomm I/F be used by an external module, or is the module
    > required to be built in if built-in drivers use Bestcomm? TasksInitAPI
    > (no so bad) and TasksLoadImage (yeah, bad) aren't really supposed to be
    > called more than once from what I've read, and the kernel loads them
    > for ethernet and ATA (no disk in my system if that matters).
    >
    > 2. If it can be used by an external module, how would I do it? I've
    > tried compiling the source into my module and replicating the
    > initialization the kernel does in addition to my own stuff. It's not
    > too bad, though I don't get any interrupts yet.
    >
    > The LTIB from Freescale includes AIC23 and AC97 drivers that use
    > Bestcomm. I built my kernel with them set as modules, and they had the
    > same unresolved problems that my driver has on insmod, so I'm
    > pessimistic. If someone could put me out of my misery one way or
    > another, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Sal

+ Reply to Thread