Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem - Embedded

This is a discussion on Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem - Embedded ; Hello. I'm developping a new system on an industrial PC104 board. It is a Cyrix 486 DX4-100 MHz processor. The board is a Wafer 4821. I installed RedHat 8.0 succesfully and manage everything via serial console and telnet (it has ...

  1. Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Hello.

    I'm developping a new system on an industrial PC104 board. It is a
    Cyrix 486 DX4-100 MHz processor.
    The board is a Wafer 4821. I installed RedHat 8.0 succesfully and
    manage everything via serial console and telnet (it has no graphics
    adaptor).

    Now, having everything work fine, my next step is moving all the system
    to a flash card. I have a big fs, because I need many things, samba,
    nfs, etc... so it is weighting 350 Mb now . If I use a DiskOnChip
    module (socket included in the board), I have to spend over $600 for a
    1/2 - 1Gb chip.

    So I decided to use a cheap Compact Flash card. I bought an IDE-CF
    adaptor, and I have checked it. In my XP box, it works ok. In my Linux
    box (not the wafer board) , it works ok passing "hdc=flash" to the
    kernel.

    But in my Wafer board it doesn't recognize the card well. While
    booting, it says something like:

    hda: Western Digital 80Gb..., IDE disk
    hdb: , Ata disk

    There is an empty field before the semicolon, as if it detected
    something but couln't recognize it.

    If I try to "fdisk -l" I receive some errors like "intr- seek error" or
    something like that, and if I "fdisk /dev/hdb" it says there is no
    valid partition table, it creates it, I create a partition, save and
    exit, but entering again, there's nothing there, no table.

    I tried to pass "hdb=977,8,32", "hdb=noprobe", "hdb=flash", and some
    combinations... but no luck.

    I'm using the latest 2.4.32 kernel, recompiled with all the supposed
    necessary options for flash devices, ide drives, etc.

    The problem is also found when running on a real PC 486. Different
    kernels on this 486 give the same result. And different kernels on my
    P-IV always work well.

    I have heard something about CF -> True IDE. Is this a CF or an
    CF-Adaptor feature? Do I need this?

    I would appreciate some help, even obvious. I want to definitively
    discard the +12v output from the power supply!

    Best regards and thanks!
    Eduardo

  2. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Edu wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm developping a new system on an industrial PC104 board. It is a
    > Cyrix 486 DX4-100 MHz processor.
    > The board is a Wafer 4821. I installed RedHat 8.0 succesfully and
    > manage everything via serial console and telnet (it has no graphics
    > adaptor).
    >
    > Now, having everything work fine, my next step is moving all the system
    > to a flash card. I have a big fs, because I need many things, samba,
    > nfs, etc... so it is weighting 350 Mb now . If I use a DiskOnChip
    > module (socket included in the board), I have to spend over $600 for a
    > 1/2 - 1Gb chip.

    You can get a 1G Compact Flash Drive for less than $50.

    > So I decided to use a cheap Compact Flash card. I bought an IDE-CF
    > adaptor, and I have checked it. In my XP box, it works ok. In my Linux
    > box (not the wafer board) , it works ok passing "hdc=flash" to the
    > kernel.

    It would depends on the IDE-CF adapter. Our cheap adapter works fine
    on a 486, even for a 2G CF.

    > But in my Wafer board it doesn't recognize the card well. While
    > booting, it says something like:
    >
    > hda: Western Digital 80Gb..., IDE disk
    > hdb: , Ata disk
    >
    > There is an empty field before the semicolon, as if it detected
    > something but couln't recognize it.
    >
    > If I try to "fdisk -l" I receive some errors like "intr- seek error" or
    > something like that, and if I "fdisk /dev/hdb" it says there is no
    > valid partition table, it creates it, I create a partition, save and
    > exit, but entering again, there's nothing there, no table.
    >
    > I tried to pass "hdb=977,8,32", "hdb=noprobe", "hdb=flash", and some
    > combinations... but no luck.
    >
    > I'm using the latest 2.4.32 kernel, recompiled with all the supposed
    > necessary options for flash devices, ide drives, etc.
    >
    > The problem is also found when running on a real PC 486. Different
    > kernels on this 486 give the same result. And different kernels on my
    > P-IV always work well.
    >
    > I have heard something about CF -> True IDE. Is this a CF or an
    > CF-Adaptor feature? Do I need this?

    It is a CF feature enabled by the adapter. Yes, you need it by
    default.

    > I would appreciate some help, even obvious. I want to definitively
    > discard the +12v output from the power supply!
    >
    > Best regards and thanks!
    > Eduardo

  3. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    > > Now, having everything work fine, my next step is moving all the system
    > > to a flash card. I have a big fs, because I need many things, samba,
    > > nfs, etc... so it is weighting 350 Mb now . If I use a DiskOnChip
    > > module (socket included in the board), I have to spend over $600 for a
    > > 1/2 - 1Gb chip.

    > You can get a 1G Compact Flash Drive for less than $50.

    I know, I was talking about a DOC chip. I know a CF is quite cheaper.

    > It would depends on the IDE-CF adapter. Our cheap adapter works fine
    > on a 486, even for a 2G CF.

    Which is your CF adapter? Maybe I need one of those...

    > It is a CF feature enabled by the adapter. Yes, you need it by
    > default.

    So, I need the feature both in the CF and in the adapter?

    Is there any way to modify my CF-IDE adapter to enable True-Ide mode?
    Some level at some pin...?

    Thanks!
    Eduardo

  4. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    http://cfd.linnix.com

    > > It is a CF feature enabled by the adapter. Yes, you need it by
    > > default.

    > So, I need the feature both in the CF and in the adapter?

    Yes

    > Is there any way to modify my CF-IDE adapter to enable True-Ide mode?
    > Some level at some pin...?

    The ATA mode pin must be grounded to enable it. This is usually not
    the problem. However, some adapters are wiring other pins
    incorrectly, which is a pain in the neck to correct. That's why we
    developed our boards.

    > Thanks!
    > Eduardo

  5. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    > The ATA mode pin must be grounded to enable it. This is usually not
    > the problem. However, some adapters are wiring other pins
    > incorrectly, which is a pain in the neck to correct. That's why we
    > developed our boards.

    I have one by one checked every wire in my CF-IDE adapter, and it seems
    to comply with the true-ide mode. I used this table as a reference:

    http://www.compuphase.com/mbr_fat.htm#CF_IDE

    So I assume that if my adapter is attending to this table directions,
    and as I am able to use the CF+Adapter on a Pentium IV, I am not having
    a compatibility mode issue.

    How can I make it work on a 486??? I think Linux doesn't obbey to BIOS
    configuration for disk drives. Anyhow tried with "auto" and with "user
    ->977/8/32" setting. Nothing changed.

    Please, give me some ide to check... My last step in this project is
    moving all the filesystem to a compact flash, and I have found a big
    obstacle here..

    Thanks!
    Eduardo

  6. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    On 20 Jun 2006 11:04:53 -0700
    "Edu" wrote:

    > So I assume that if my adapter is attending to this table
    > directions, and as I am able to use the CF+Adapter on a
    > Pentium IV, I am not having a compatibility mode issue.
    >

    > How can I make it work on a 486??? I think Linux doesn't obbey
    > to BIOS configuration for disk drives. Anyhow tried with
    > "auto" and with "user ->977/8/32" setting. Nothing changed.

    > Thanks!
    > Eduardo

    You might have better luck using our Embedded Slackware on a CF.
    Slackware is an i486 distro. The SDK is available for i486,
    uclibc_i486, pxa25x and uclibc_pxa25x. The makeCF utility
    allows you to select components etc. and creates the base
    bootstrapped CF automatically. You will need the 3 (12MB, 10MB
    and 13MB) archives:

    slakbootEBS-base+i486a
    slakbootEBS-i486b
    slakbootEBS-i486c

    TonyB

    Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    change color and fall from the trees.
    David Letterman (1947 - )

    --
    __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org

  7. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    But can I use this SDK with my RedHat distribution to enable the CF?
    Does is have a kernel module? How an it help me without having to
    switch to another distribution?

    Best regards!
    Eduardo

    Hufnus ha escrito:

    > On 20 Jun 2006 11:04:53 -0700
    > "Edu" wrote:
    >

    > > So I assume that if my adapter is attending to this table
    > > directions, and as I am able to use the CF+Adapter on a
    > > Pentium IV, I am not having a compatibility mode issue.
    > >

    > > How can I make it work on a 486??? I think Linux doesn't obbey
    > > to BIOS configuration for disk drives. Anyhow tried with
    > > "auto" and with "user ->977/8/32" setting. Nothing changed.

    > > Thanks!
    > > Eduardo
    > >

    > You might have better luck using our Embedded Slackware on a CF.
    > Slackware is an i486 distro. The SDK is available for i486,
    > uclibc_i486, pxa25x and uclibc_pxa25x. The makeCF utility
    > allows you to select components etc. and creates the base
    > bootstrapped CF automatically. You will need the 3 (12MB, 10MB
    > and 13MB) archives:
    >
    > slakbootEBS-base+i486a
    > slakbootEBS-i486b
    > slakbootEBS-i486c
    >
    > TonyB
    >

    > Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    > change color and fall from the trees.
    > David Letterman (1947 - )
    >
    > --
    > __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    > / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org
    > \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/ System Tools / Utilities
    > |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

  8. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Hello,

    > I'm developping a new system on an industrial PC104 board. It is a
    > Cyrix 486 DX4-100 MHz processor.

    I am using a CF2IDE adaptor on a Cyrix 486 SLC/40 based system. But it's no
    special board, I got it from my aunt's old pc. It works perfectly.

    > So I decided to use a cheap Compact Flash card. I bought an IDE-CF
    > adaptor, and I have checked it. In my XP box, it works ok. In my Linux
    > box (not the wafer board) , it works ok passing "hdc=flash" to the
    > kernel.

    I didn't use it on my main system, but on the 486 I didn't need anything.
    I am using a 32 Mb CF from my photo camera and I also bought a 64 Mb chip
    for it. The third (the cameras original 8 Mb Chip) works also very well. I
    set up the BIOS for "AUTO" and it recognized it without any problems, then I
    ran fdisk on the chip (booting via loadlin on the very same system - 2.2
    kernel + busybox) and filled in the settings into the system.

    I ran also DOS for a while, but it couldn't satisfy me.

    > But in my Wafer board it doesn't recognize the card well. While
    > booting, it says something like:
    >
    > hda: Western Digital 80Gb..., IDE disk
    > hdb: , Ata disk
    >
    > There is an empty field before the semicolon, as if it detected
    > something but couln't recognize it.

    You could try to put the CF adaptor as hda. Is it jumpered correctly?

    > If I try to "fdisk -l" I receive some errors like "intr- seek error" or
    > something like that, and if I "fdisk /dev/hdb" it says there is no
    > valid partition table, it creates it, I create a partition, save and
    > exit, but entering again, there's nothing there, no table.

    Are you sure the CF works flawlessly in a camera or a card reader?
    Did you try another (maybe smaller) CF?

    > I tried to pass "hdb=977,8,32", "hdb=noprobe", "hdb=flash", and some
    > combinations... but no luck.

    You shouldn't have to use a append line.

    > I'm using the latest 2.4.32 kernel, recompiled with all the supposed
    > necessary options for flash devices, ide drives, etc.

    The same version worked for me also. Right now I am running a 2.6 but it
    takes too much memory (I've got only 8 Mb).
    You should - if not needed otherwise - only include the IDE support. CF2IDE
    makes the system think it is using a true (spinning) IDE disk, not as a
    flash chip. Maybe you just have to kick out some things.

    > The problem is also found when running on a real PC 486. Different
    > kernels on this 486 give the same result. And different kernels on my
    > P-IV always work well.

    Strange.

    > I have heard something about CF -> True IDE. Is this a CF or an
    > CF-Adaptor feature? Do I need this?

    I don't know anything about it; I just put my in and bootet. And it
    worked...
    The system and so on were put on the CF by using a simple (internal) usb
    card reader.

    > I would appreciate some help, even obvious. I want to definitively
    > discard the +12v output from the power supply!

    I found out that with only one CF inserted (I've got also a dual adaptor
    with both hda and hdb as CF disks) I don't need any power supply for it. The
    TTL levels are enough to power the CF :-)

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

  9. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    > I am using a CF2IDE adaptor on a Cyrix 486 SLC/40 based system. But it's no
    > special board, I got it from my aunt's old pc. It works perfectly.

    You're lucky !! :-)

    > You could try to put the CF adaptor as hda. Is it jumpered correctly?

    The are two jumpers. First selects master/slave. It works. Second, I
    was told that was for select the source of power, between +5v and +12v,
    both from a floppy connector. As I have both 5 and 12 applied to the
    floppy conector to the CF-IDE adapter, tried to change the jumper and
    nothing happened. Anyhow, I cannot configure it as a master, because it
    has no operating system yet, so when trying to boot from it, it will
    fail and I won't be able to check if Linux sees it.

    > Are you sure the CF works flawlessly in a camera or a card reader?

    Yes, I have checked both the adapter and the 128 Mb CF in my Pentium IV
    and it works great.

    > Did you try another (maybe smaller) CF?

    Yes, I also tried a 8 and 32 Mb CF in the adapter. Both work OK in my
    Pentium but neven on my 486's

    > The same version worked for me also. Right now I am running a 2.6 but it
    > takes too much memory (I've got only 8 Mb).
    > You should - if not needed otherwise - only include the IDE support. CF2IDE
    > makes the system think it is using a true (spinning) IDE disk, not as a
    > flash chip. Maybe you just have to kick out some things.

    I compiled with IDE and aaaaaaaaaall the modules which might have any
    relation with memories, flash, mtd, rom.... everything...!

    > I found out that with only one CF inserted (I've got also a dual adaptor
    > with both hda and hdb as CF disks) I don't need any power supply for it. The
    > TTL levels are enough to power the CF :-)

    I hope I can reach that stage sometime...! :-)

    Thanks!
    Edu

  10. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    On 22 Jun 2006 00:36:33 -0700
    "Edu" wrote:

    > But can I use this SDK with my RedHat distribution to enable
    > the CF? Does is have a kernel module? How an it help me
    > without having to switch to another distribution?

    Bueno, you could. But, you would have to replace the structured
    component directories, which contain the burn files, with RH
    versions, where applicable. Particularly you would have to
    change the contents of slaketcs/i486 with Redhat's boot (init.d)
    components. The bootstrap is also set to use lilo, which might
    be a problem...

    TonyB (Hufnus)

    > Hufnus ha escrito:
    >
    > > On 20 Jun 2006 11:04:53 -0700
    > > "Edu" wrote:
    > >

    > > > So I assume that if my adapter is attending to this table
    > > > directions, and as I am able to use the CF+Adapter on a
    > > > Pentium IV, I am not having a compatibility mode issue.
    > > >

    > > > How can I make it work on a 486??? I think Linux doesn't
    > > > obbey to BIOS configuration for disk drives. Anyhow tried
    > > > with "auto" and with "user ->977/8/32" setting. Nothing
    > > > changed.

    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Eduardo
    > > >

    > > You might have better luck using our Embedded Slackware on a
    > > CF. Slackware is an i486 distro. The SDK is available for
    > > i486, uclibc_i486, pxa25x and uclibc_pxa25x. The makeCF
    > > utility allows you to select components etc. and creates the
    > > base bootstrapped CF automatically. You will need the 3
    > > (12MB, 10MB and 13MB) archives:
    > >
    > > slakbootEBS-base+i486a
    > > slakbootEBS-i486b
    > > slakbootEBS-i486c
    > >
    > > TonyB
    > >

    > > Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the
    > > birds change color and fall from the trees.
    > > David Letterman (1947 - )
    > >
    > > --
    > > __ __ _ I N C.
    > > http://www.sysdev.org
    > > / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ /
    > > tonyb@sysdev.org \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/
    > > System Tools / Utilities
    > > |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device
    > > |Drivers

    Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    change color and fall from the trees.
    David Letterman (1947 - )

    --
    __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org
    \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/ System Tools / Utilities
    |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

  11. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    But i'm not sure this is what I need.. Does it have any specifil kernel
    module? I don't need any particular application to manage the flash,
    this is not a problem yes. My problem is that my kernel does not see
    the compact flash. At the moment I can see it, I will dump the FS to it
    and go on...

    Regards.
    Eduardo.

    Hufnus ha escrito:

    > On 22 Jun 2006 00:36:33 -0700
    > "Edu" wrote:
    >
    > > But can I use this SDK with my RedHat distribution to enable
    > > the CF? Does is have a kernel module? How an it help me
    > > without having to switch to another distribution?

    > Bueno, you could. But, you would have to replace the structured
    > component directories, which contain the burn files, with RH
    > versions, where applicable. Particularly you would have to
    > change the contents of slaketcs/i486 with Redhat's boot (init.d)
    > components. The bootstrap is also set to use lilo, which might
    > be a problem...
    >
    > TonyB (Hufnus)
    >

    > > Hufnus ha escrito:

    > > > You might have better luck using our Embedded Slackware on a
    > > > CF. Slackware is an i486 distro. The SDK is available for
    > > > i486, uclibc_i486, pxa25x and uclibc_pxa25x. The makeCF
    > > > utility allows you to select components etc. and creates the
    > > > base bootstrapped CF automatically. You will need the 3
    > > > (12MB, 10MB and 13MB) archives:
    > > >
    > > > slakbootEBS-base+i486a
    > > > slakbootEBS-i486b
    > > > slakbootEBS-i486c
    > > >
    > > > TonyB
    > > >

    > > > Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the
    > > > birds change color and fall from the trees.
    > > > David Letterman (1947 - )
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > __ __ _ I N C.
    > > > http://www.sysdev.org
    > > > / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ /
    > > > tonyb@sysdev.org \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/
    > > > System Tools / Utilities
    > > > |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device

    > Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    > change color and fall from the trees.
    > David Letterman (1947 - )
    >
    > --
    > __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    > / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org
    > \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/ System Tools / Utilities
    > |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

  12. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Hello again,

    > > I am using a CF2IDE adaptor on a Cyrix 486 SLC/40 based system. But it's

    no
    > > special board, I got it from my aunt's old pc. It works perfectly.

    > You're lucky !! :-)

    I don't think so, because I am really tight on memory (normal 30pin-SIMMs 1
    Mb each ... 8x1 = 8 and more isn't possible. I never saw any simms with more
    than 1 Mb and I doubt it would be recognized.)

    > > You could try to put the CF adaptor as hda. Is it jumpered correctly?

    > The are two jumpers. First selects master/slave. It works. Second, I
    > was told that was for select the source of power, between +5v and +12v,
    > both from a floppy connector. As I have both 5 and 12 applied to the
    > floppy conector to the CF-IDE adapter, tried to change the jumper and
    > nothing happened. Anyhow, I cannot configure it as a master, because it
    > has no operating system yet, so when trying to boot from it, it will
    > fail and I won't be able to check if Linux sees it.

    My adaptor has only one jumper (the single CF one). I would try to jumper it
    as master and boot the kernel from a floppy disk (simple zimage will do), if
    that's possible with your board.
    Otherwise you could fill the CF with a operating system using DOS or
    Syslinux. Then you could directly boot from it and maybe you'd see the
    error. My adaptor doesn't work as good if I jumper it as slave. Sometimes it
    doesn't recognize the card, but I would have to check again to be sure. I
    don't need it - I don't try it :-)

    > > Are you sure the CF works flawlessly in a camera or a card reader?

    > Yes, I have checked both the adapter and the 128 Mb CF in my Pentium IV
    > and it works great.

    If you tried other CFs in your adaptor...

    > > Did you try another (maybe smaller) CF?

    > Yes, I also tried a 8 and 32 Mb CF in the adapter. Both work OK in my
    > Pentium but neven on my 486's

    .... then the CF will also be alright.

    > > The same version worked for me also. Right now I am running a 2.6 but it
    > > takes too much memory (I've got only 8 Mb).
    > > You should - if not needed otherwise - only include the IDE support.

    CF2IDE
    > > makes the system think it is using a true (spinning) IDE disk, not as a
    > > flash chip. Maybe you just have to kick out some things.

    > I compiled with IDE and aaaaaaaaaall the modules which might have any
    > relation with memories, flash, mtd, rom.... everything...!

    Maybe - I doubt it, but worth a try - all the modules disturb each other.
    You could try to create a kernel as small as possible. No module support, no
    flash support, nothing except floppy and IDE hard disk support.

    > > I found out that with only one CF inserted (I've got also a dual adaptor
    > > with both hda and hdb as CF disks) I don't need any power supply for it.

    The
    > > TTL levels are enough to power the CF :-)

    > I hope I can reach that stage sometime...! :-)

    My other problem is linux, as I can't get it to work as I want to.
    My only requirements are:
    => kernel, busybox, nfs server
    => serial console (now I have a graphics adaptor which I want to remove)

    But I can't get it to work... no idea how shared libs and so on work.
    Nothing worked yet.
    Only static builds and simply copying the host libs (thank god they're
    386-compiled *g*)

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

  13. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    >> > I am using a CF2IDE adaptor on a Cyrix 486 SLC/40 based system. But it's

    > no
    >> > special board, I got it from my aunt's old pc. It works perfectly.

    >> You're lucky !! :-)

    > I don't think so, because I am really tight on memory (normal 30pin-SIMMs 1
    > Mb each ... 8x1 = 8 and more isn't possible. I never saw any simms with more
    > than 1 Mb and I doubt it would be recognized.)

    My "server" i486/33 has 4*4 + 4+1 = 20 MB of 30pin-SIMMs.
    It's 11 years 365*24h on line

  14. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Does your kernel has support for USB devices?
    If you can access usb devices, you should be
    able to map a CF mounted on a USB card reader
    with the loop device..

    There is a program at my web site (see way below
    for URL) called burnit. You can use it to create
    or extract a filesystem from a CF, but if you run
    'burnit -l', it will just query for the first USB
    card reader mounted, that it can find. It might
    also display some messages, to show what is missing
    in your system ...

    TonyB

    On 23 Jun 2006 00:30:36 -0700
    "Edu" wrote:

    > But i'm not sure this is what I need.. Does it have any
    > specifil kernel module? I don't need any particular
    > application to manage the flash, this is not a problem yes. My
    > problem is that my kernel does not see the compact flash. At
    > the moment I can see it, I will dump the FS to it and go on...
    >
    > Regards.
    > Eduardo.
    >
    > Hufnus ha escrito:
    >
    > > On 22 Jun 2006 00:36:33 -0700
    > > "Edu" wrote:
    > >
    > > > But can I use this SDK with my RedHat distribution to
    > > > enable the CF? Does is have a kernel module? How an it
    > > > help me without having to switch to another distribution?

    > > Bueno, you could. But, you would have to replace the
    > > structured component directories, which contain the burn
    > > files, with RH versions, where applicable. Particularly you
    > > would have to change the contents of slaketcs/i486 with
    > > Redhat's boot (init.d) components. The bootstrap is also
    > > set to use lilo, which might be a problem...
    > >
    > > TonyB (Hufnus)
    > >

    > > > Hufnus ha escrito:

    Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
    change color and fall from the trees.
    David Letterman (1947 - )

    --
    __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org
    \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/ System Tools / Utilities
    |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

  15. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    Hello again,

    [...]
    > > I don't think so, because I am really tight on memory (normal

    30pin-SIMMs 1
    > > Mb each ... 8x1 = 8 and more isn't possible. I never saw any simms with

    more
    > > than 1 Mb and I doubt it would be recognized.)

    > My "server" i486/33 has 4*4 + 4+1 = 20 MB of 30pin-SIMMs.
    > It's 11 years 365*24h on line

    Nice, then. I never found such memory, unfortunately. So I'm stuck.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  16. Re: Compact flash + IDE/CF adaptor + 486 ->problem

    It is not a kernel issue. The kernel I compiled for the 486, booted in
    my pentium IV, is able to see the CF correctly.
    My CF adapter is via IDE port, not USB port.

    If my kernel lacked some module, it would not work on my Pentium IV...

    Regards!
    Eduardo

    Hufnus ha escrito:

+ Reply to Thread