InterJak 300 ELAN based router - Embedded

This is a discussion on InterJak 300 ELAN based router - Embedded ; I have a Filanet (Uroam or whoever owns them now) InterJak 300 router. It's based on a AMD ELAN processor and has 16 mb Flash ROM, 64 mb RAM, MiniPCI, USB 2.0 and ethernet ports and i know it runs ...

  1. InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    I have a Filanet (Uroam or whoever owns them now) InterJak 300 router. It's
    based on a AMD ELAN processor and has 16 mb Flash ROM, 64 mb RAM, MiniPCI,
    USB 2.0 and ethernet ports and i know it runs somekind of Linux.

    Having no actual use for it, i want to hack into it and make it do other
    things (brought it for like 2 at a fleamarket). There are 2 two 10 pin
    headers next to the CPU marked serial 1 & 2. I tried to connect a standard
    PC 10 PIN <-> DB9 cable and use a null modem cable to my PC with minicom,
    but got nothing. Are there any kind-of-standard pinouts used by such
    devices? And what other settings than 9600-8-N-1 and 115200-8-N-1 is worth
    trying? (i doesn't even get more than a few garbage characters at reset, so
    i guess the connections is wrong)

    If i get to a console, are there any standard flash bootloaders and
    programmers for ELAN, that will work?

    The ELAN is x86 and has PCI, so i guess a vanilla kernel and utils like
    busybox will do the trick?

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  2. Re: InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    Lasse,

    > Having no actual use for it, i want to hack into it and make it do other
    > things (brought it for like 2 at a fleamarket). There are 2 two 10 pin
    > headers next to the CPU marked serial 1 & 2. I tried to connect a standard
    > PC 10 PIN <-> DB9 cable and use a null modem cable to my PC with minicom,
    > but got nothing. Are there any kind-of-standard pinouts used by such
    > devices? And what other settings than 9600-8-N-1 and 115200-8-N-1 is worth
    > trying? (i doesn't even get more than a few garbage characters at reset, so
    > i guess the connections is wrong)

    Is there an RS232 line driver on the board before the serial header?
    I would expect if the headers come straight from the CPU, they'll be TTL level, so
    you'll need to convert them before they'll work with your null modem cable.

    I also know for sure that there are at least 2 different 'standard' 2x5 pin header
    <-> DB9 pinouts from old PC days.

    My first step would be to get/borrow a CRO, and find out for sure which pin is TxD.

    The current firmware/bootloader may not even have any console output though, so this
    may prove somewhat difficult.

    > If i get to a console, are there any standard flash bootloaders and
    > programmers for ELAN, that will work?

    It really depends on the rest of the hardware platform.

    > The ELAN is x86 and has PCI, so i guess a vanilla kernel and utils like
    > busybox will do the trick?

    they should work fine.

    good luck,

    | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
    | Software Engineer email: Damion_deSoto@au.securecomputing.com
    | Secure Computing Corporation web: http://www.securecomputing.com
    | fax: +61 7 3891 3630 ph: +61 7 3435 2809
    ---- Free Embedded Linux Distro at http://www.snapgear.org ----

  3. Re: InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    Damion de Soto wrote:

    > Lasse,
    >
    >> Having no actual use for it, i want to hack into it and make it do other
    >> things (brought it for like 2 at a fleamarket). There are 2 two 10 pin
    >> headers next to the CPU marked serial 1 & 2. I tried to connect a
    >> standard PC 10 PIN <-> DB9 cable and use a null modem cable to my PC with
    >> minicom, but got nothing. Are there any kind-of-standard pinouts used by
    >> such devices? And what other settings than 9600-8-N-1 and 115200-8-N-1 is
    >> worth trying? (i doesn't even get more than a few garbage characters at
    >> reset, so i guess the connections is wrong)

    > Is there an RS232 line driver on the board before the serial header?
    > I would expect if the headers come straight from the CPU, they'll be TTL
    > level, so you'll need to convert them before they'll work with your null
    > modem cable.

    Theres one linedriver. A LTC1386CS. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so to
    provide 2 serial ports, they would have to use software flowcontrol and
    only have RX and TX lines, right?

    > I also know for sure that there are at least 2 different 'standard' 2x5
    > pin header <-> DB9 pinouts from old PC days.
    >
    > My first step would be to get/borrow a CRO, and find out for sure which
    > pin is TxD.

    Whats a CRO? Anyway, i have a oscilliscope. It'l do the trick.

    > The current firmware/bootloader may not even have any console output
    > though, so this may prove somewhat difficult.

    I sure hopes thats not the case. But i cant think of any other reason for
    soldering the linedriver and pinheaders on the board.

    >> If i get to a console, are there any standard flash bootloaders and
    >> programmers for ELAN, that will work?

    > It really depends on the rest of the hardware platform.

    Theres not really any other hardware. Just the ELAN SC520-133AC, RAM, ROM, a
    National DP83815 ethernet controller, a Marvel 88E6052 5 port switch and a
    NEC D720100 USB 2.0 controller. Everything exept the switch is PCI.

    >> The ELAN is x86 and has PCI, so i guess a vanilla kernel and utils like
    >> busybox will do the trick?

    > they should work fine.
    >
    > good luck,

    Thanks a lot.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  4. Re: InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    Lasse,

    >>>Having no actual use for it, i want to hack into it and make it do other
    >>>things (brought it for like 2 at a fleamarket). There are 2 two 10 pin
    >>>headers next to the CPU marked serial 1 & 2. I tried to connect a
    >>>standard PC 10 PIN <-> DB9 cable and use a null modem cable to my PC with
    >>>minicom, but got nothing. Are there any kind-of-standard pinouts used by
    >>>such devices? And what other settings than 9600-8-N-1 and 115200-8-N-1 is
    >>>worth trying? (i doesn't even get more than a few garbage characters at
    >>>reset, so i guess the connections is wrong)

    >>Is there an RS232 line driver on the board before the serial header?
    >>I would expect if the headers come straight from the CPU, they'll be TTL
    >>level, so you'll need to convert them before they'll work with your null
    >>modem cable.

    > Theres one linedriver. A LTC1386CS. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so to
    > provide 2 serial ports, they would have to use software flowcontrol and
    > only have RX and TX lines, right?

    I'd expect so.

    >>I also know for sure that there are at least 2 different 'standard' 2x5
    >>pin header <-> DB9 pinouts from old PC days.
    >>
    >>My first step would be to get/borrow a CRO, and find out for sure which
    >>pin is TxD.

    > Whats a CRO? Anyway, i have a oscilliscope. It'l do the trick.

    CRO, Oscilloscope, scope - any of those

    >>The current firmware/bootloader may not even have any console output
    >>though, so this may prove somewhat difficult.

    > I sure hopes thats not the case. But i cant think of any other reason for
    > soldering the linedriver and pinheaders on the board.

    Well, some of our boards have serial headers but don't have the serial
    console enabled by default.

    >>>If i get to a console, are there any standard flash bootloaders and
    >>>programmers for ELAN, that will work?

    >>It really depends on the rest of the hardware platform.

    > Theres not really any other hardware. Just the ELAN SC520-133AC, RAM, ROM, a
    > National DP83815 ethernet controller, a Marvel 88E6052 5 port switch and a
    > NEC D720100 USB 2.0 controller. Everything exept the switch is PCI.

    You'll still need to know the flash/rom layout.
    There's a few x86 bioses floating around the net that have been ported to the
    sc520, but getting all those components working without any hardware knowledge
    of the board may not be an easy task.

    regards,

    | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
    | Software Engineer email: Damion_deSoto@au.securecomputing.com
    | Secure Computing Corporation web: http://www.securecomputing.com
    | fax: +61 7 3891 3630 ph: +61 7 3435 2809
    ---- Free Embedded Linux Distro at http://www.snapgear.org ----

  5. Re: InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    Damion de Soto wrote:

    >>>I also know for sure that there are at least 2 different 'standard' 2x5
    >>>pin header <-> DB9 pinouts from old PC days.
    >>>
    >>>My first step would be to get/borrow a CRO, and find out for sure which
    >>>pin is TxD.

    >> Whats a CRO? Anyway, i have a oscilliscope. It'l do the trick.

    > CRO, Oscilloscope, scope - any of those

    It worked. Found TX and trial and errored RX. Now i get kernel output at
    boot and a console after. Cool!

    >>>The current firmware/bootloader may not even have any console output
    >>>though, so this may prove somewhat difficult.

    >> I sure hopes thats not the case. But i cant think of any other reason for
    >> soldering the linedriver and pinheaders on the board.

    > Well, some of our boards have serial headers but don't have the serial
    > console enabled by default.

    Please, think of the nerds who's gonna play with your devices after they
    become obsolete ;-)

    >>>It really depends on the rest of the hardware platform.

    >> Theres not really any other hardware. Just the ELAN SC520-133AC, RAM,
    >> ROM, a National DP83815 ethernet controller, a Marvel 88E6052 5 port
    >> switch and a NEC D720100 USB 2.0 controller. Everything exept the switch
    >> is PCI.

    > You'll still need to know the flash/rom layout.

    The first thing it says is

    Bootloader v1.04 AMD Elan SC520

    Date/Time: 2001-07-12 12:43:56
    CPU Speed: 133 MHz
    Serial No: 202201B01492
    MAC Address: 00-D0-9A-02-9E-D8

    Locating kernel (oKERNEL)...done (12566121 bytes)

    and then it boots.

    > There's a few x86 bioses floating around the net that have been ported to
    > the sc520, but getting all those components working without any hardware
    > knowledge of the board may not be an easy task.

    Since it uses JFFS2, im sticking with the kernel for now and just fiddle
    around in userspace. First task will be chroot, so i can mount a USB stick
    and use it as temporary root.

    Everything seems to be stock Linux, exept a module called filathr. Dont know
    what its for yet.

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  6. Re: InterJak 300 ELAN based router

    Well, it was fun for a few hours, but now i broke it. Made the bootloader
    enter diagnostics mode and did various tests, including a flash ROM test,
    that turned out to be a destructive R/W test.

    But theres still hope. Theres a AMDebug connector on the board. Just gotta
    figure out how it works.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.