PowerPC serial ports SMC and SCC - Embedded

This is a discussion on PowerPC serial ports SMC and SCC - Embedded ; Has anyone here have expericne on the serial ports in the PowerQuick communications processors for RS-232 communications ? Those ICs are based on PowerPC architechture. The serial ports are wired to SMC and SCC controller parts of the IC in ...

  1. PowerPC serial ports SMC and SCC

    Has anyone here have expericne on the serial ports
    in the PowerQuick communications processors for RS-232
    communications ?
    Those ICs are based on PowerPC architechture.
    The serial ports are wired to SMC and SCC controller parts
    of the IC in the board I use.

    Basicly those ports work OK, but there are some problems
    when I try to use parity and 8 databits (I know 8 databits
    plus parity is a little bit rately used configuration, but
    that's what I have to use on the application).
    When I set the port to this mode, I get 8 databits out, but
    the parity is missing. I have verified this with line analyzer.

    Has anyone ever tested that this should work ?
    Accordign the datasheet I understand that that both
    8 databits and parity with it shoudl be supported by hardware.
    I have taken some look at the source of the serial port
    driver. It seems that the driver at leas tries to handle the
    data bits and parity settings right.
    The Linux kernel version I use is 2.6.12.3

    Some info taken from stty -a -F /dev/ttyCPM1 command output:

    parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts

    According to this the line should be 8 databits and parity
    enabled.

    Answers preferably to this newsgroup...

    --
    Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
    http://www.epanorama.net/

  2. Re: PowerPC serial ports SMC and SCC

    On 13 Jun 2006 15:51:00 +0300, Tomi Holger Engdahl
    wrote:

    >The serial ports are wired to SMC and SCC controller parts
    >of the IC in the board I use.

    Physically the SMC and SCC are quite different. For instance SCCs can
    handle up to 8 data bits, while SMCs up to 14 data bits :-).

    Which port did you test ? Have you tried to use the other type ?

    Paul

  3. Re: PowerPC serial ports SMC and SCC

    Paul Keinanen writes:

    > On 13 Jun 2006 15:51:00 +0300, Tomi Holger Engdahl
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The serial ports are wired to SMC and SCC controller parts
    > >of the IC in the board I use.

    > Physically the SMC and SCC are quite different. For instance SCCs can
    > handle up to 8 data bits, while SMCs up to 14 data bits :-).
    >
    > Which port did you test ? Have you tried to use the other type ?

    I tested both port types.

    --
    Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
    http://www.epanorama.net/