r-trees - Embedded

This is a discussion on r-trees - Embedded ; I am working on an implementation of a mobile camera that tags each photo with a location name based on GPS coordinates. Someone suggested r-trees for the database format. r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've ...

  1. r-trees

    I am working on an implementation of a mobile camera that tags each photo
    with a location name based on GPS coordinates. Someone suggested r-trees
    for the database format.

    r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've
    found centerson a *SQL engine. My little embedded platform won't run any
    form of SQL database.

    Is anyone aware of a flat-file based r-tree implementation, preferrably in
    C? Something suitable for an embedded system?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

    --
    o__
    ,>/'_ o__

  2. Re: r-trees

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    >I am working on an implementation of a mobile camera that tags each photo
    >with a location name based on GPS coordinates. Someone suggested r-trees
    >for the database format.
    >
    >r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've
    >found centerson a *SQL engine. My little embedded platform won't run any
    >form of SQL database.

    Including SQLite ?
    From http://www.sqlite.org :
    "SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
    embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine."

    >Is anyone aware of a flat-file based r-tree implementation, preferrably in
    >C? Something suitable for an embedded system?

    A few are mentioned in R-Tree portal:
    http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/r...rtal/code.html

  3. Re: r-trees

    Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >
    >>I am working on an implementation of a mobile camera that tags each photo
    >>with a location name based on GPS coordinates. Someone suggested r-trees
    >>for the database format.
    >>
    >>r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've
    >>found centerson a *SQL engine. My little embedded platform won't run any
    >>form of SQL database.

    > Including SQLite ?
    > From http://www.sqlite.org :
    > "SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
    > embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine."

    OK, I'll look into it if it turns out I can't do flat files....

    >>Is anyone aware of a flat-file based r-tree implementation, preferrably in
    >>C? Something suitable for an embedded system?

    > A few are mentioned in R-Tree portal:
    > http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/r...rtal/code.html

    I've been trying to figure out the source in here:

    http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/r...e/Rtree.tar.gz

    But it comes with absolutely no docs and few comments in the code....
    You don't happen to know where I might find some? :-)

    --Yan

  4. Re: r-trees

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    >Roberto Waltman wrote:
    >> Captain Dondo wrote:
    >>>r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've
    >>>found centerson a *SQL engine. My little embedded platform won't run any
    >>>form of SQL database.

    >> Including SQLite ?
    >> From http://www.sqlite.org :
    >> "SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
    >> embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine."
    >>

    >OK, I'll look into it if it turns out I can't do flat files....

    For what its worth, SQLite stores a complete database as a single disk
    file. If you can tolerate the overhead of storing the SQL tables and
    fields information + the size of the library itself, only minimal file
    system support is required.

    >>>Is anyone aware of a flat-file based r-tree implementation, preferrably in
    >>>C? Something suitable for an embedded system?

    >> A few are mentioned in R-Tree portal:
    >> http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/r...rtal/code.html
    >>

    >I've been trying to figure out the source in here:
    >
    >http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/r...e/Rtree.tar.gz
    >
    >But it comes with absolutely no docs and few comments in the code....
    >You don't happen to know where I might find some? :-)

    I could grep out and send you thousand of comments from other sources,
    but I doubt they will be helpful. :-)
    No, sorry. I looked briefly into this material a long time ago for an
    application that never came to be.
    May be reading the original papers on R-Trees can help to understand
    these libraries.

  5. Re: r-trees

    Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >> Roberto Waltman wrote:
    >>> Including SQLite ?
    >>> From http://www.sqlite.org :
    >>> "SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
    >>> embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine."
    >>>

    >> OK, I'll look into it if it turns out I can't do flat files....

    > For what its worth, SQLite stores a complete database as a single disk
    > file. If you can tolerate the overhead of storing the SQL tables and
    > fields information + the size of the library itself, only minimal file
    > system support is required.

    Is there something similar but entirely in RAM?

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    R&D Director

    Mediaxim NV/SA
    Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
    Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
    http://www.mediaxim.com/

  6. Re: r-trees

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:52:21 +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:

    >> For what its worth, SQLite stores a complete database as a single disk
    >> file. If you can tolerate the overhead of storing the SQL tables and
    >> fields information + the size of the library itself, only minimal file
    >> system support is required.

    > Is there something similar but entirely in RAM?

    Just create a tmpfs and put the files there.....

    --Yan

    --
    o__
    ,>/'_ o__
    Yan Seiner, PE (_)\(_) ,>/'_ o__
    Certified Personal Trainer (_)\(_) ,>/'_ o__
    Licensed Professional Engineer (_)\(_) ,>/'_
    Who says engineers have to be pencil necked geeks? (_)\(_)

+ Reply to Thread