port u-boot to x86 based board? - Embedded

This is a discussion on port u-boot to x86 based board? - Embedded ; u-boot is primarily PPC ARM based, but u-boot information on x86 based board is few, and if i want to port u-boot to x86 based board, is that a good choice? and what should i do?...

  1. port u-boot to x86 based board?

    u-boot is primarily PPC ARM based, but u-boot information on x86 based
    board is few, and if i want to port u-boot to x86 based board, is that
    a good choice? and what should i do?

  2. Re: port u-boot to x86 based board?

    > u-boot is primarily PPC ARM based, but u-boot information on x86 based
    > board is few, and if i want to port u-boot to x86 based board, is that
    > a good choice?

    no

    >and what should i do?

    Subscribe u-boot mailing list ;-)

    --
    _
    ..-._.=\-.

  3. Re: port u-boot to x86 based board?

    In fact I want use u-boot on my Pentium PC instead of GRUB or lilo. Can
    any one suggest How to ues U-Boot for PC. Thanks in advance.

    Helix 写道:

    > > u-boot is primarily PPC ARM based, but u-boot information on x86 based
    > > board is few, and if i want to port u-boot to x86 based board, is that
    > > a good choice?

    > no
    >
    > >and what should i do?

    > Subscribe u-boot mailing list ;-)
    >
    > --
    > _
    > .-._.=\-.
    > (_)=='(_)______________/ helix \___

  4. Re: port u-boot to x86 based board?

    In article <1150095931.791237.256500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    "xkarl" writes:

    >> > u-boot is primarily PPC ARM based, but u-boot information on x86 based
    >> > board is few, and if i want to port u-boot to x86 based board, is that
    >> > a good choice?

    >> no
    >>

    > In fact I want use u-boot on my Pentium PC instead of GRUB or lilo. Can
    > any one suggest How to ues U-Boot for PC. Thanks in advance.

    (see also my response to your post on the same subject in
    comp.arch.embedded)

    If you just want something to boot your PC, you're better off if you
    just stick with GRUB. If you want some of the other features that u-boot
    has to offer, then porting it may be a worthwhile thing to do, but
    beware: it will be a tedious, low-level programming job, not for the
    faint-hearted (mostly C and assembly language, no flashy debug tools).

    >> >and what should i do?

    >> Subscribe u-boot mailing list ;-)

    Do get in touch with the u-boot mailing list, and, if you are serious
    about this, mail me as I may be able to dig up some possibly helpful
    code to get you started.

    Good luck

    Rob

    --
    Robert Kaiser email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
    SYSGO AG http://www.elinos.com

+ Reply to Thread