Limiting write cycles to CF card for mysql - Embedded

This is a discussion on Limiting write cycles to CF card for mysql - Embedded ; I have a board running Debian Sarge on a CF card. In order to avoid exceeding the limit for CF card write cycles, I have modified my etc/fstab to be as follows : # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # ...

  1. Limiting write cycles to CF card for mysql

    I have a board running Debian Sarge on a CF card. In order to avoid
    exceeding the limit for CF card write cycles, I have modified my
    etc/fstab to be as follows :

    #
    #

    /dev/hdc1 /boot ext3 nodev,nosuid,noatime 1 2
    /dev/hdc2 /var/log_compressed ext3 nodev,nosuid,noatime 1 2
    /dev/hdc3 / ext3 noatime 1 1
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    tmpfs /usr/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults,noatime 0
    0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

    I will also be running mysqld and httpd servers on this board, but I
    don't really know enough about these services to know whether they will
    do a lot of writes to the CF card during operation. Is there anything
    I could/should do (eg. somehow buffering to that the database is only
    updated once an hour) to avoid exceeding the CF card write cycle limit
    sooner than necessary?

    Many thanks

    Sam Duncan

  2. Re: Limiting write cycles to CF card for mysql

    Hi,

    > I will also be running mysqld and httpd servers on this board, but I
    > don't really know enough about these services to know whether they will
    > do a lot of writes to the CF card during operation. Is there anything
    > I could/should do (eg. somehow buffering to that the database is only
    > updated once an hour) to avoid exceeding the CF card write cycle limit
    > sooner than necessary?

    You could load the data base (as you did with /var/log etc) also onto a ram
    disk and via cronjob (or something similar) write it back every hour. At
    system boot copying it into the tmpfs and at shutdown write it back should
    be possible.

    If the database isn't too large this could be a possible solution.

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread