telnet and /dev/pts - Embedded

This is a discussion on telnet and /dev/pts - Embedded ; Hi all, I have a problem with telnet. I have copiled kernel 2.6.7 with unix98 ptys. I have created /dev/pts directory and I've started telnetd daemon but I cant telnet to this. When I create character devices /dev/pts/0, /dev/pts/1 I'am ...

  1. telnet and /dev/pts

    Hi all,

    I have a problem with telnet. I have copiled kernel 2.6.7 with unix98 ptys.
    I have created /dev/pts directory and I've started telnetd daemon but I cant
    telnet to this. When I create character devices /dev/pts/0, /dev/pts/1 I'am
    able to connect but after each telnet session next device is choosen for
    example:
    telnet - on linux /dev/pts/0 is used
    exit
    telnet - on linux /dev/pts/1
    exit

    When the last device was choosen I'm not able to establish connection.
    Have you got any idea how to solve this problem?

    Best regards
    Jacek

  2. Re: telnet and /dev/pts

    Hello,

    > I have a problem with telnet. I have copiled kernel 2.6.7 with unix98

    ptys.

    Have you also compiled the devpts and/or devfs file system into it?

    > I have created /dev/pts directory and I've started telnetd daemon but I

    cant
    > telnet to this. When I create character devices /dev/pts/0, /dev/pts/1

    I'am
    > able to connect but after each telnet session next device is choosen [...]

    You have to mount the /dev/pts file system using devpts.
    Then every wish for such a device is fulfilled automatically.
    You can also use devfs for /dev/* entries, which is recommended since it's a
    more general solution.

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: telnet and /dev/pts