Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactile computer X86 - Embedded

This is a discussion on Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactile computer X86 - Embedded ; Hi to everyone. I am working with an experimental portable computer X86 with tactile screen that needs an OS Linux with X-Windows-System. I have heard that an Embedded Linux is the best way to obtain the best performance in this ...

  1. Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactile computer X86

    Hi to everyone.

    I am working with an experimental portable computer X86 with tactile
    screen that needs an OS Linux with X-Windows-System. I have heard that
    an Embedded Linux is the best way to obtain the best performance in
    this cases. Please, can you recomend me some distributions and say
    which are they download pages?

  2. Re: Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactilecomputer X86

    Hi,

    I suggest you Gentoo Linux for building an embedded Linux.
    I self build one on base of the Tiny Gentoo Tutorial

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo

    My System is up to 8 Mbytes but without X and any other grapical stuff.

    You can install an minimal X-Server.
    Your Applications can use the Xlib so you don't need any other
    graphical libraries.

    www.gentoo.org

    cu

    puchikonyoster@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hi to everyone.
    >
    > I am working with an experimental portable computer X86 with tactile
    > screen that needs an OS Linux with X-Windows-System. I have heard that
    > an Embedded Linux is the best way to obtain the best performance in
    > this cases. Please, can you recomend me some distributions and say
    > which are they download pages?

  3. Re: Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactile computer X86

    Reimund Klain wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I suggest you Gentoo Linux for building an embedded Linux.
    > I self build one on base of the Tiny Gentoo Tutorial
    >
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo
    >
    > My System is up to 8 Mbytes but without X and any other grapical stuff.
    >
    > You can install an minimal X-Server.
    > Your Applications can use the Xlib so you don't need any other
    > graphical libraries.
    >
    > www.gentoo.org
    >
    > cu
    >
    > puchikonyoster@gmail.com schrieb:
    > > Hi to everyone.
    > >
    > > I am working with an experimental portable computer X86 with tactile
    > > screen that needs an OS Linux with X-Windows-System. I have heard that
    > > an Embedded Linux is the best way to obtain the best performance in
    > > this cases. Please, can you recomend me some distributions and say
    > > which are they download pages?

    For my linksys slug http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ I use openslug which is
    based on the openembedded build system. It's a pretty nice build
    system for building embedded systems. It's not really a distribution,
    just a build system
    I've also tried ptxdist
    (http://www.pengutronix.de/software/ptxdist_en.html) for another
    project but it was pretty hard to get it working.

    wimpunk.

  4. Re: Linux Embedded with X-Windows-System in a experimental tactilecomputer X86

    > I am working with an experimental portable computer X86 with tactile
    > screen that needs an OS Linux with X-Windows-System. I have heard that
    > an Embedded Linux is the best way to obtain the best performance in
    > this cases. Please, can you recomend me some distributions and say
    > which are they download pages?

    I've seen KaeilOS (formerly Klinux embedded)
    http://www.kaeilos.com/
    in action with such configuration,
    and seems pretty good.

    HTH