inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall - Embedded

This is a discussion on inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall - Embedded ; If I want to build an equivalent of an inexpensive firewall like NETGEAR RP616 (40), by using a linux-based firewall embedded software, which hardware platform can I use ? Soekris net4501 matches the requirements except one, the price a little ...

  1. inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall

    If I want to build an equivalent of an inexpensive firewall like NETGEAR
    RP616 (40), by using a linux-based firewall embedded software, which
    hardware platform can I use ?
    Soekris net4501 matches the requirements except one, the price a little
    bit to high (150 ).
    WRAP is also relatively expensive.
    No idea of other cheaper hardware platform to run light linux distro ?

    Is is possible to use a commercial product (NETGEAR, DLINK, LINKSYS,
    etc.) and replace its software by a linux-based custom software ???

  2. Re: inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall

    Hello Philippe,

    Philippe wrote:

    > If I want to build an equivalent of an inexpensive firewall like NETGEAR
    > RP616 (40), by using a linux-based firewall embedded software, which
    > hardware platform can I use ?
    > Soekris net4501 matches the requirements except one, the price a little
    > bit to high (150 ).
    > WRAP is also relatively expensive.
    > No idea of other cheaper hardware platform to run light linux distro ?
    >
    > Is is possible to use a commercial product (NETGEAR, DLINK, LINKSYS,
    > etc.) and replace its software by a linux-based custom software ???

    Google for OpenWRT

    regards

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall

    Wolfgang Mes wrote:
    > Hello Philippe,
    >
    > Philippe wrote:
    >
    >> Is is possible to use a commercial product (NETGEAR, DLINK, LINKSYS,
    >> etc.) and replace its software by a linux-based custom software ???

    > Google for OpenWRT

    Yes, I second that. Then look at http://www.linksysinfo.org and check
    which WRT54 hardware versions support Linux.

    By using this info and checking product serial numbers in the store, I
    found an older WRT54GS that is now happily running OpenWRT.

    --rick

+ Reply to Thread