klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages - Embedded

This is a discussion on klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages - Embedded ; I am using busybox 1.1.1 and a 2.6 kernel. Is there a way to prevent klogd and/or syslogd from sending KERN_DEBUG messages to /var/log/messages? I have tried using the -c option to klogd and writing to /proc/sys/kernel/printk, but neither of ...

  1. klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

    I am using busybox 1.1.1 and a 2.6 kernel.

    Is there a way to prevent klogd and/or syslogd from sending KERN_DEBUG
    messages to /var/log/messages?

    I have tried using the -c option to klogd and writing to
    /proc/sys/kernel/printk, but neither of these seems to have any effect.
    Are those just for controlling what gets sent to the console?

    The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug
    messages to it if I can avoid it.

    Thanks,

    Gregg

  2. Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

    Hello,

    > The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug
    > messages to it if I can avoid it.

    If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only
    the /var/log/messages file.

    Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    >> The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug
    >> messages to it if I can avoid it.

    > If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only
    > the /var/log/messages file.

    Thanks, but I only want to eliminate the debug messages. I want the
    non-debug messages to continue to be logged to flash.

    Gregg

  4. Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

    GB wrote:
    > Sebastian wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > >> The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug
    > >> messages to it if I can avoid it.

    > > If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only
    > > the /var/log/messages file.
    > >

    > Thanks, but I only want to eliminate the debug messages. I want the
    > non-debug messages to continue to be logged to flash.

    Alter /etc/syslog.conf to stop logging debug messages!

  5. Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

    Jim Jackson wrote:
    > GB wrote:
    >> Sebastian wrote:
    >>> Hello,

    >>> If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only
    >>> the /var/log/messages file.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, but I only want to eliminate the debug messages. I want the
    >> non-debug messages to continue to be logged to flash.

    > Alter /etc/syslog.conf to stop logging debug messages!

    Unfortunately, the busybox version of syslogd ignores /etc/syslog.conf.
    I had to disable the logging at the source level.

    Thanks,

    Gregg

+ Reply to Thread