Updating linux kernel on a flash - Embedded

This is a discussion on Updating linux kernel on a flash - Embedded ; I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a flash with those zones: - U-Boot (1.1.3) - U-Boot parameters - Linux kernel (2.6.11) - GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2) In exploitation, I want to be ...

  1. Updating linux kernel on a flash

    I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a
    flash with those zones:

    - U-Boot (1.1.3)
    - U-Boot parameters
    - Linux kernel (2.6.11)
    - GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2)

    In exploitation, I want to be able to update the software files (from an
    Ethernet connection). There is not problem updating part of GNU/Linux
    software (in the JFSS2 partition), but how can I update the Linux kernel
    which is on the flash?

    --
    Éric Lévénez --
    Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

  2. Re: Updating linux kernel on a flash

    Eric Levenez ha scritto:
    > I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a
    > flash with those zones:
    >
    > - U-Boot (1.1.3)
    > - U-Boot parameters
    > - Linux kernel (2.6.11)
    > - GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2)
    >
    > In exploitation, I want to be able to update the software files (from an
    > Ethernet connection). There is not problem updating part of GNU/Linux
    > software (in the JFSS2 partition), but how can I update the Linux kernel
    > which is on the flash?

    You should investigate looking for u-boot environment current settings.
    Take a look at u-boot manual :
    http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBoot

    Ciao
    --
    Marco Cavallini
    Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

  3. Re: Updating linux kernel on a flash

    Le 20/05/06 18:15, dans , «*Marco
    Cavallini*» a écrit*:

    > Eric Levenez ha scritto:
    >> I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a
    >> flash with those zones:
    >>
    >> - U-Boot (1.1.3)
    >> - U-Boot parameters
    >> - Linux kernel (2.6.11)
    >> - GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2)
    >>
    >> In exploitation, I want to be able to update the software files (from an
    >> Ethernet connection). There is not problem updating part of GNU/Linux
    >> software (in the JFSS2 partition), but how can I update the Linux kernel
    >> which is on the flash?

    > You should investigate looking for u-boot environment current settings.
    > Take a look at u-boot manual :
    > http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBoot

    I know how to change U-boot setting and choose a particular Linux kernel
    when I am in the U-Boot command line interface. But what I don't know is how
    to write in flash a new kernel and how to update the U-Boot variables when I
    am running in the GNU/Linux environment.

    --
    Éric Lévénez --
    Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

  4. Re: Updating linux kernel on a flash

    I have read more carefully the U-boot document, and found that I have to
    installed a flash device driver (/dev/mtd) in Linux to access raw flash
    memory. With that I should be able to put a second linux kernel in the
    flash. That's fine.

    The second step would be to read the U-boot setup, patch the address on the
    new kernel, and rewrite the setup in flash.

    --
    Éric Lévénez --
    Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

+ Reply to Thread