[RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments - Embedded

This is a discussion on [RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments - Embedded ; Hi to all, I see there are at least three toolchains for cross compiling and building environment projects - buildroot: http://buildroot.uclibc.org - scratchbox: http://www.scratchbox.org - open embedded: http://wiki.openembedded.net Someone is interested in comparing and/or have a discussion about these three ...

  1. [RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments

    Hi to all,

    I see there are at least three toolchains for cross compiling and
    building environment projects

    - buildroot: http://buildroot.uclibc.org
    - scratchbox: http://www.scratchbox.org
    - open embedded: http://wiki.openembedded.net

    Someone is interested in comparing and/or have a discussion about
    these three tools?
    Who reports more tools like these is welcome too.

    Cheers,
    --
    /roberto

  2. Re: [RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments

    robang74 wrote:
    > Hi to all,
    >
    > I see there are at least three toolchains for cross compiling and
    > building environment projects
    >
    > - buildroot: http://buildroot.uclibc.org
    > - scratchbox: http://www.scratchbox.org
    > - open embedded: http://wiki.openembedded.net
    >
    > Someone is interested in comparing and/or have a discussion about
    > these three tools?
    > Who reports more tools like these is welcome too.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > /roberto

    I would seriously recommend using OE, helping it to improve. I have been
    playing around with OE for a few days. I like the fact that you only need one
    command, bitbake imagename, to build the image for that specific machine
    platform, provided that you have all the correct configuration in your config
    file.

    Only if it is a perfect world (bugless)...

    Wei

  3. Re: [RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments

    > I see there are at least three toolchains for cross compiling and
    > building environment projects
    >
    > - buildroot: http://buildroot.uclibc.org
    > - scratchbox: http://www.scratchbox.org
    > - open embedded: http://wiki.openembedded.net

    What about

    http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/

    ?

    -Michael

  4. Re: [RFC] toolchains for cross compiling and building environments

    Wei Weng wrote:
    > robang74 wrote:
    >
    > I would seriously recommend using OE, helping it to improve. I have been
    > playing around with OE for a few days. I like the fact that you only need one
    > command, bitbake imagename, to build the image for that specific machine
    > platform, provided that you have all the correct configuration in your config
    > file.
    >
    > Only if it is a perfect world (bugless)...
    >

    > Wei

    Here is a (far incomplete) list of features for OE.
    http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Features

    Functional

    * cross-compile packages for various CPU architectures like x86,
    x86_64/amd64, powerpc, arm (various generations), mips, avr32
    * build complete bootable distributions that can be installed on flash or
    SD/MMC media
    * build compatible package for non-OpenEmbedded based distributions like
    Maemo, OpenWRT or various 'vendor Linuxes'
    * build thousands of software packages using all kinds of programming
    languages and runtime environments like C/C++, Perl, Python, Java, Mono
    * create binary packages in IPK, RPM, DEB or tar.gz format
    * chose from a wide range of C libraries as the base of your distribution:
    glibc, uclibc or eglibc
    * optionally employ Debian-like naming on binary packages (e.g. libfoo)
    * create complete toolchain packages for your target system which can be
    deployed on application developer machines

    Non-functional

    * reproduceable builds (let two persons with two different machines but
    same setup create the same binary)
    * strongly self-hosting, requires only a minimum of tools to be installed
    right away

    Thanks
    Wei

  5. Re: toolchains for cross compiling and building environments

    Hi,

    here you are an update of the previous list (with a new entry):

    *- buildroot:http://buildroot.uclibc.org
    *- scratchbox:http://www.scratchbox.org
    *- open embedded:http://wiki.openembedded.net
    - uclinux: http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist
    - gentoo embedded: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/index.xml

    Thanks to who have answered and who will.

    Cheers,
    Roberto A. Foglietta
    http://www.roberto.foglietta.name

+ Reply to Thread