cross-compiler - Embedded

This is a discussion on cross-compiler - Embedded ; Hi, I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone point me to a ...

  1. cross-compiler

    Hi,
    I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    would help in system development and debugging.

    Thanks

  2. Re: cross-compiler

    George wrote:
    > I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    > build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    > support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    > point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    > installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    > would help in system development and debugging.

    Are you sure you want to do that on an i486 based system? Did you try to
    compile a full featured recent kernel on this machine? I guess it will fail
    (or at least it will need a very looooooooooooooooooooong time ;-)

    jbe

  3. Re: cross-compiler

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:36:24 -0400, George wrote:
    > I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    > build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    > support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    > point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    > installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    > would help in system development and debugging.

    As an example of how this is done for the GNU tool chain, uClibc and
    Linux kernel, take a look at the OpenRISC 1000 processor:
    http://www.opencores.org/projects.cg...toolchain_port.

    There is an application note describing the OpenRISC tool chain and Linux
    installation at www.embecosm.com/download/ean2.html.

    Hope this gets you started.

    Jeremy

  4. Re: cross-compiler

    On Oct 27, 12:36*am, George wrote:
    > Hi,
    > * * * * I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    > build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    > support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    > point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    > installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    > would help in system development and debugging.

    the Embedded Linux Development Kit (ELDK) might be a starting point:
    http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/ELDK

    if you prefer to build the toolchains yourself crosstool-ng could be
    interesting for you: http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/dokuwiki/projects/crosstool

    there are much more alternatives out there, google is your friend

    be sure to have a look at busybox (http://busybox.net/) for a set of
    basic unix utilities with a small memory footprint on the root file
    system of your target

  5. Re: cross-compiler

    George wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    > build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    > support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    > point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    > installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    > would help in system development and debugging.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi George,

    I would recommend installing openembedded.
    (http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Main_Page)

    It is very good framework that you can build quite a few platforms from. Read
    the wiki for instructions on how to build them.

    Also install qemu, use qemu to run the image for simulations of that specific
    platform.

    Thanks
    Wei

  6. Re: cross-compiler

    George wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
    > build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
    > support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
    > point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
    > installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
    > would help in system development and debugging.
    >
    > Thanks

    This might be little old, but it should give you an idea:
    http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysro...s/chapter.html

  7. Re: cross-compiler

    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

    George

+ Reply to Thread