Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI - Embedded

This is a discussion on Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI - Embedded ; Hi I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ? Any links or tips ? Johan...

  1. Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    Hi

    I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?
    Any links or tips ?

    Johan

  2. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    Sagaert Johan wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    > GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?
    > Any links or tips ?

    This will work for 1G or 2G CF.

    See http://cfd.linnix.com/main.php?kde

    > Johan

  3. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    > I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    > GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?
    > Any links or tips ?

    If you need a *real* embedded linux system look at linux embedded
    distros (try with google).
    If not you can use almost every linux distro that surely can run between
    1GB to 2GB, BTW have you seen DSL linux ?
    HTH

  4. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    Helix wrote:
    > > I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    > > GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?
    > > Any links or tips ?

    > If you need a *real* embedded linux system look at linux embedded
    > distros (try with google).
    > If not you can use almost every linux distro that surely can run between
    > 1GB to 2GB, BTW have you seen DSL linux ?

    Actually, size is not that big a problem. We can put most of it in 1G,
    and a really stripped down KDE on 512M. But 1G and 2G CFs are so cheap
    now, it doesn't make sense to flight it. The problem is with write
    cycles. The MLC (multi level cells) flash are much easier to wear out.
    You CANNOT just run it like a hard disk, which most standard distro
    would do. We boot from a CF (in 20 seconds BTW) to KDE and run the CF
    read-only. See the rest below and comments/suggestions are welcome:

    http://cfd.linnix.com/main.php?kde

    > HTH

  5. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    Sagaert Johan napisał(a):
    > Hi
    >
    > I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    > GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?

    Small Distro you have to build on your own.
    BusyBox +uC + Buildroot and all what you want is very small... 4MB or
    smth...

    Krzysztof

  6. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    Krzysztof wrote:
    > Sagaert Johan napisał(a):
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    > > GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?

    > Small Distro you have to build on your own.
    > BusyBox +uC + Buildroot and all what you want is very small... 4MB or

    But why? 32MB CF is less than $5 each. 1G is less than $30. I am sure
    you can find something reasonable between 32M and 1G.

    > smth...
    >
    > Krzysztof

  7. Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

    linnix wrote:
    > Krzysztof wrote:
    >
    >>Sagaert Johan napisał(a):
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
    >>>GUI , are there any existing small distros i can use ?

    >>Small Distro you have to build on your own.
    >>BusyBox +uC + Buildroot and all what you want is very small... 4MB or

    > But why? 32MB CF is less than $5 each. 1G is less than $30. I am sure
    > you can find something reasonable between 32M and 1G.
    >

    >>smth...
    >>
    >>Krzysztof

    http://damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini..._Small_Machine

    Nano-ITX Computer The Damn Small Machine!
    The Damn Small Machine now in stock!
    Mix a slick little case, the brand new Nano-ITX technology**, and one
    256MB DSL booting USB pen and you have a Damn Small Machine.
    What's in it?
    On-Board VIA EDEN Nano 800Mhz (Fanless)
    On-Board (embedded) 256MB DDR266
    On-Board 10/100Mbps LAN