VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware - Embedded

This is a discussion on VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware - Embedded ; Hi, Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM away). Which of the above two technologies will enable me to port a software ...

  1. VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

    Hi,

    Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a
    software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM
    away).

    Which of the above two technologies will enable me to port a software /
    operating system into a hardware from a remote place ?

    Could someone tell me advantages / disadvantages of VNC and VPN w.r.t
    Embedded world ?

    what are the complexities involved in implementing these ?

    Which has the easy setup and efficient for embedded
    developments/debugging ?

    Kindly let me know the best tools available for VPN and VNC for linux.

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operatingsystems for hardware

    KBG wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a
    > software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM
    > away).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

    Once you have done some basic web searching so that you know what these
    two very different, complimentary technologies actually are, then people
    will be able to help your specific questions.

  3. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

    David Brown wrote:
    > KBG wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a
    >> software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM
    >> away).

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
    >

    > Once you have done some basic web searching so that you know what these
    > two very different, complimentary technologies actually are, then people
    > will be able to help your specific questions.

    Or not, coz they sound very much like homework questions.

    --
    Nobby Anderson

  4. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operatingsystems for hardware

    Nobody Here wrote:
    > David Brown wrote:
    >> KBG wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a
    >>> software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM
    >>> away).

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
    >>

    >> Once you have done some basic web searching so that you know what these
    >> two very different, complimentary technologies actually are, then people
    >> will be able to help your specific questions.

    > Or not, coz they sound very much like homework questions.

    I actually thought it sounded more like an incompetent employee being
    given a task he can't handle, and trying to pass it on to Usenet for
    help. But you're right, it could just as well have been an incompetent
    student (lazy students being incompetent by definition).

  5. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

    KBG wrote:

    > Which of the above two technologies will enable me to port a software /
    > operating system into a hardware from a remote place ?

    generic Unix Way is ssh or telnet, if encryption is not needed.

    Sven

    --
    "Thinking of using NT for your critical apps?
    Isn't there enough suffering in the world?"

  6. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

    Dont take this wrongly.
    I am completely new to these territories and i am exploring ways.

    Thats what i am thinking about. (Telnet / TFTP or SSH) Actually, i am
    exploring ways (VPN and others) . I had time to fire qureies and 100%
    strong belief in google groups to have the precise answer alone. Rather

    than reading through the whole length of nice good documents....

    Yes, i accept, I asked the questions what i felt/thought in my mind
    before exploring those Territories.
    I tried between different technologies. I have not used VPN or VNC
    until now. Now i am clear in those VPN / VNC.
    Now, i am very much aware of these and so, it was indeed helpful to me.

    An engineers life has many such things ....
    You can view it any angle. But, google & groups cleared my doubts.
    We should not worry about others while asking questions/doubts. Then we

    will be in the dark for a bit long time without info in that. Thx for
    google and groups.

    Thx ,
    Karthik Balaguru

  7. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operatingsystems for hardware

    KBG wrote:
    > Dont take this wrongly.
    > I am completely new to these territories and i am exploring ways.
    >
    > Thats what i am thinking about. (Telnet / TFTP or SSH) Actually, i am
    > exploring ways (VPN and others) . I had time to fire qureies and 100%
    > strong belief in google groups to have the precise answer alone. Rather
    >
    > than reading through the whole length of nice good documents....

    With that attitude, you're going to get very little out of Usenet (there
    is no such thing as "google groups", unless you mean the broken
    interface you are using to post to Usenet. Please learn how to use it
    properly, by the way.)

    Usenet groups are used by real people, who have many things to do with
    their time, and choose to spend some of it conversing on these groups -
    either to ask for help, or to give help, or to listen to others in the
    hope of learning something interesting, or just for entertainment. No
    one is interested in helping someone too lazy to read easily available
    web pages.

    If you have done some basic searching, and read up a little on the
    subject, but are having difficulty understanding, then by all means ask
    others. Maybe someone will help you, or point you to other useful
    documentation.

    > Yes, i accept, I asked the questions what i felt/thought in my mind
    > before exploring those Territories.
    > I tried between different technologies. I have not used VPN or VNC
    > until now. Now i am clear in those VPN / VNC.
    > Now, i am very much aware of these and so, it was indeed helpful to me.
    >

    > An engineers life has many such things ....
    > You can view it any angle. But, google & groups cleared my doubts.
    > We should not worry about others while asking questions/doubts. Then we
    >
    > will be in the dark for a bit long time without info in that. Thx for
    > google and groups.
    >
    > Thx ,
    > Karthik Balaguru

  8. Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operatingsystems for hardware

    Dude this is what you need.

    I am assuming this is from your work PC, which is behind a firewall
    already. So we won't address that end.

    To do this cheaply.

    Your PC

    company network

    Internet

    a firewall (linksys Befsr41 for example. sx If you want to go the VPN

    | route)

    switch

    A linux box ( fedora, susie, whatever pick a standard install to make
    life easy)

    Also attach to the switch the following.
    your hardware's ethernet connection

    a remote power strip WTI for example.

    For configuration and software.
    On the firewall forward port 22 to your Linux box. Then you can
    tunnel anything you want through the ssh connection. vnc, telnet, any
    socket connections you want.

    you can also use the linux box to build software for the target and
    load from it. Also use the linux box to connect to the serial port of
    your board and use minicom. It has vnc server on most installs.

    So look up putty for the ssh and forwarding. If you are an engineer
    you'll figure it out.

    except for the remote power strip it is cheap.

    This should get you off to a good start.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread