Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless - Embedded

This is a discussion on Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless - Embedded ; On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:29 +0100, Robert Orso wrote in :: >Larry Dighera schrieb: >> Hello. >> >> I'm new to this newsgroup, so I hope this is the right place to pose >> this question. >> >> The ...

  1. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:29 +0100, Robert Orso
    wrote in
    ::

    >Larry Dighera schrieb:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I'm new to this newsgroup, so I hope this is the right place to pose
    >> this question.
    >>
    >> The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the
    >> application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to
    >> see if I can improve it. Without shell access, I'm not sure how to go
    >> about modifying the Java code. Is it likely there is a shell
    >> available?

    >It's not likely.

    Not even with 2MB of firmware?

    Have you any idea of what type of CPU the IK-WB11A uses? Which Linux
    release? Perhaps a shell binary could be compiled for it, and
    uploaded to firmware.

    >In case you have success, I have a list of wishes :-)

    What sort of wishes?

    >Probably you have to tear it apart and read the flash ROM. Normally the
    >"firmware update" file, that is available, should contain everything you
    >need. It is not encrypted and there is a lot of HTML code clearly readable.

    Yes. I discovered that. Thanks.

    One of the main problems I'm having is FTP unable to send file errors.
    I'm not sure if that's a result of a weak signal on the wireless link,
    timeout parameters too short, or what.

    The other problem I'm having is easy to see on the Java Console; after
    a minute or so, it stops sending '__live.jpg' files to update the
    display. I'm wondering if there's a way to send it some command to
    restart that.

    >The rest looks rather binary with a long table in the start block.

    I'm thinking the binary looking stuff is compiled kernel and other
    binary files.

    >Maybe you have to dissect this and in case you are wrong with your hope that
    >this could be Java P-Code, you certainly have to use a disassembler for
    >the specific CPU type used.

    It could be troublesome finding such a disassembler.

    I've been snooping in the firmware, and located a few interesting
    things. Below is a table of file names. Of course, all the http code
    is there in ASCII, so it may be easy to modify much of the firmware if
    one has the courage to attempt to flash the ROM with the modified
    firmware. :-) I wonder if the firmware update file contains a
    checksum?

    Have you any idea what the 'recovery' function does? It's not
    documented in the Advanced User Guide nor the SDK* documentation. It
    uses the same administrator ID/PW, and provides the opportunity to
    name a local file ostensibly to contain the recovery data (whatever
    that might be).

    At the end of the list below are some interesting strings that provide
    a clue into possibly useful things. In particular:

    TxVGC Wireless Transmit Variable Gain Control?
    Low_Gain Wireless Gain Control?
    High_Gain Wireless Gain Control?
    Current(3sec) May be useful to overcome timeouts
    Receive(1sec) May be useful to overcome timeouts

    Please use RS-232C !!! This is particularly interesting. I
    wonder which jack is for serial communications?

    Perhaps one could get a shell prompt over RS-232C?

    Have you been successful in getting the 'getstream.cgi' function
    syntax correct? I made a quick attempt, but it failed.

    That's all for now. More as time permits.

    * http://www.willenskraft.com/resource...DK_v1.10us.pdf

    ==================
    version.311
    ==================

    HTTP File Names

    index.htm
    recovery_login.htm
    recovery.htm
    fine.htm
    recovery_fail.htm
    spoolout.htm
    adm_camera.htm
    adm_done.htm
    adm_fwverup.htm
    adm_login.htm
    adm_password.htm
    adm_time.htm
    admin.htm
    alarm.htm
    alarmstsapi.htm
    alarmtxt.htm
    almmoarea.htm
    bad_fwverup.htm
    cmr_alarm.htm
    cmr_fundamentals.htm
    cmr_pantilt.htm
    cmr_privacymask.htm
    cmr_record.htm
    cmr_sdformat.htm
    cmr_sdstscheck.htm
    controller.htm
    controller_head.htm
    controller_list.htm
    controller_pati.htm
    controller_plbk.htm
    dummy.htm
    fine_fwverup.htm
    fine_mail.htm
    fine_reset.htm
    fine_time.htm
    getallpresetnameapi.htm
    getcurrentptpointapi.htm
    getcurrenttimeapi.htm
    getloglistapi.htm
    getnumofalarmlistapi.htm
    getnumofnormallistapi.htm
    getparamlistapi.htm
    getplaytimeapi.htm
    getsettedpresetapi.htm
    log_refer.htm
    log_trans.htm
    menu_header.htm
    menu_item.htm
    menu_panel.htm
    mlt_layout.htm
    multi_frame.htm
    multi_login.htm
    multi_view.htm
    multi_view_dummy.htm
    notauth.htm
    notauth_V.htm
    nwk_arptbl.htm
    nwk_connect.htm
    nwk_ddns.htm
    nwk_ftp.htm
    nwk_ftpalarm.htm
    nwk_ftpalarm_chk.htm
    nwk_ftpperiodical.htm
    nwk_ftpalarm_chk.htm
    nwk_mail.htm
    nwk_routingtbl.htm
    oneshot.htm
    8ownrelease.htm
    -playtime.htm
    preset.htm
    privacyposition.htm
    record.htm
    reset.htm
    rst_time.htm
    sdmformatchkapi.htm
    sdmstsapi.htm
    sdtxt.htm
    sec_access.htm
    sec_filter.htm
    sec_user.htm
    sessionrefresh.htm
    set_motionsensor.htm
    set_privacymask.htm
    settingpane.htm
    single_view.htm
    time.htm
    tst_mail.htm
    tst_time.htm
    tst_time2.htm
    tst_time3.htm
    user_controller.htm
    user_multi_frame.htm
    user_multi_view.htm
    user_multi_view_dummy.htm
    user_oneshot.htm
    user_single_view.htm
    user_view_1_header.htm
    user_view_M.htm
    user_view_S.htm
    user_view_footer_S.htm
    user_view_header_M.htm
    user_view_header_S.htm
    usernotauth.htm
    view_1_header.htm
    view_M.htm
    view_S.htm
    view_footer_S.htm
    view_header_M.htm
    view_header_S.htm

    -------------------------------

    HTML Titles (in firmware order)

    Contents recovery
    Administrator login for contents recovery
    Contents recovery fail
    spoolout
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Adding and Removing Cameras
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Administrator Setting Done
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Firmware Version Up
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Administrator Login
    TOSHIBA Netowrk Camera - Test Mail
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Changing the Password
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting the Time
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Settings for Administrator
    TOSHIBA Controller
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test 2
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test 3
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Firmware Update Failure
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Alarm Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Fundamental Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - PAN/TILT Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Privacy Mask Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Recording Function
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - SD Memory Card Formatting
    TOSHIBA Network Camera Controller [x4]
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Controller
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting Finish
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - FW PC Upload fine ['fine'=OK]
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Mail Setting Finish
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Network Setting Finish
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Finish
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Login
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Multi-Screen Display [x3]
    TOSHIBA User 1 Shot
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Single-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Browse and Delete Logs
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Log Forwarding Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Menu Header menu
    TOSHIBA Network Camera Menu Panel
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Header
    TOSHIBA Network Camaera - Multi-Screen Display Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera Multi-Frame
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Multi-Screen Display Viewer
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Multi-Screen Viewer
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - multi view dummy
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer for Single-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - ARP Table Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Network Connection Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - DDNS Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Footer
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting Finish Checker [x2]
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Mail Setting
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Footer for Mulit-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Routing Table Settings
    TOSHIBA Network Camara - Wireless LAN Settings
    TOSHIBA 1 Shot
    TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Header for Single-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera Preset Controller
    TOSHIBA Network Camera Record List Controller
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Reset
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting the Time
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Access Restriction
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Filtering by MAC Address
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Header
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Restriction
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Set Detection Range for Motion Sensor
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Set Masking Range for Privacy Mask
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Settings Pane
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Single-Screen Viewer
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Multi-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Single-Screen Display
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Footer
    TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Header [x2]

    ---------------------------------------

    CGI File Names

    recovery.cgi
    EndOf-getstream.cgi
    getstream.cgi
    adm_camera.cgi
    adm_fwverup.cgi
    adm_time.cgi
    tst_time.cgi
    control.cgi
    cmr.cgi
    log_refer.cgi
    log_trans.cgi
    mlt_layout.cgi
    nwk_arptbl.cgi
    nwk_connect.cgi
    nwk_ddns.cgi
    nwk_ftp.cgi
    nwk_ftpalarm.cgi
    nwk_ftpperiodical.cgi
    nwk_mail.cgi
    nwk_routingtbl.cgi
    nwk_wireless.cgi
    adm_time.cgi
    sec_access.cgi
    sec_filter.cgi
    sec_user.cgi

    -----------------
    JAVA

    TimeApplet.class
    AlarmApplet$1.class
    ImageCanvas.class
    Mask.class
    MaskApplet.class
    MovieApplet$1.class
    MovieApplet$2.class
    MovieApplet$3.class
    MovieApplet.class
    SetProperty.class
    ZoomFactor.class
    SetProperty.class
    SDApplet.class
    SoundApplet$1.class
    SoundApplet.class
    Test.class
    TimeApplet.class
    AlarmApplet.class
    SetProperty.class

    authinfo.js
    utility.js
    authinfo_single_V.js
    controller.js
    multiauth.js
    switchPanels.js
    userauth.js
    wbmisc.js

    ---------------------------

    Interesting strings

    TxVGC
    Low_Gain
    High_Gain
    wlanTestTX
    ErroRate
    wlanTestRX
    calcCurData
    Accumulative
    Current(3sec)
    Receive(1sec)
    Please use RS-232C !!!
    ADM8628 TOSHIBA Production board
    !!! Please RESET after unplug LAN cable !!!

  2. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    Larry Dighera schrieb:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:29 +0100, Robert Orso
    > wrote in
    > ::
    >
    >> In case you have success, I have a list of wishes :-)

    > What sort of wishes?

    "Bandwidth saving" ones:

    1) Don't overwrite the image that is currently transmitted (double
    buffering)

    2) Allow for digital zoom IN the camera, i.e. When a lower image size is
    selected, allow for zoom in, but transmit only the smaller frame of the
    higher resolution.

    Example: Select size 320x240, you get a small image of the full picture
    Zoom in 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 640x480 image
    Zoom in another 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 1280x1024 image

    3) allow for digital pan when in lower resolution, similar to the zoom.

    4) allow for "user selectable" long-exposure if hardware prmits this,
    like 15 seconds or more of continuous exposure of a single frame. This
    would please my astronomy friends.

  3. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:05:20 +0100, Robert Orso
    wrote in
    ::

    >Larry Dighera schrieb:
    >> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:29 +0100, Robert Orso
    >> wrote in
    >> ::
    >>
    >>> In case you have success, I have a list of wishes :-)

    >> What sort of wishes?
    >>

    >"Bandwidth saving" ones:
    >
    >1) Don't overwrite the image that is currently transmitted (double
    >buffering)

    Is that what's going on? You mean that single '--live.jpg' frames are
    not sent sequentially, but periodically with the newer one being sent
    concurrently with the previous ones? That might explain why the
    camera's ftp uploads are so flaky. I suppose it may have been a
    feeble attempt to keep the frame-rate up despite limited bandwidth.

    >2) Allow for digital zoom IN the camera, i.e. When a lower image size is
    >selected, allow for zoom in, but transmit only the smaller frame of the
    >higher resolution.

    I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure how you'd achieve it. It
    would seem that the camera would have to be generating images in the
    higher resolution, and transmitting cropped images.

    >Example: Select size 320x240, you get a small image of the full picture
    >Zoom in 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 640x480 image
    >Zoom in another 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 1280x1024 image

    Now that would be useful. As it is, using the Zoom function on any
    image size less than the 1280x1024 image doesn't really provide more
    information, just larger pixels.

    >3) allow for digital pan when in lower resolution, similar to the zoom.
    >
    >4) allow for "user selectable" long-exposure if hardware prmits this,
    >like 15 seconds or more of continuous exposure of a single frame. This
    >would please my astronomy friends.

    I'm reasonably sure that is currently possible. Here's a page from
    the IK-WB_SDK_v1.10us.pdf programming guide:

    43. Setting Shutter Speed
    Interface
    http:///setcamapi.cgi?cam_8=&ok=dummy.htm
    Use Conditions
    This function is available for administrators only.
    For IK-WB11 only.
    Parameter(s)
    --
    Input IP address, server name or domain name of IK-WB on which you
    want to set the shutter speed.
    -- setcamapi.cgi
    Input the cgi for setting the shutter speed.
    The command in question is “setcamapi.cgi” and it calls for the
    argument “cam_8”, the control ID.
    -- cam_8=
    available for setting are as follows.
    For IK-WB11 only
    - AES : 1
    - 1/120(1/100) : 2
    - 1/60(1/50) : 3
    - 1/30(1/25) : 4
    - 1/20(1/16.7) : 5
    - 1/15(1/12.5) : 6
    - 1/8 : 7
    - 1/4 : 8
    - 1/2 : 9
    - 1 : 10
    - 2 : 11
    - 4 : 12
    -- ok=dummy.htm
    Designate the HTML where the cgi processes the result of the
    shutter speed setting.
    Designate “ok=dummy.htm” invariably.
    Example
    http://10.1.0.10/setcamapi.cgi?cam_8=7&ok=dummy.htm
    … sets the shutter speed to 1/8 second
    Output
    “dummy.htm” will be returned to the caller.
    Note
    This API is allowed to administrators only.

    Apparently 4 seconds is the maximum, but perhaps that can be changed
    by modifying the firmware. Or perhaps using a 'shutter speed'
    parameter in excess of 12 may reduce shutter speed below 4 seconds.

    Incidently, I found the following file names in the firmware since the
    earlier list:

    AlarmApplet.jar
    MaskApplet.jar
    MovieApplet.jar
    SDApplet.jar
    SoundApplet.jar
    TimeApplet.jar

    Adding these file names should make the list complete.

+ Reply to Thread