This is a discussion on Loading Linux using redboot or u-boot? - Embedded ; Hi, I'm fairly new to embedded Linux so please take it easy on me I am using an ARM9 in an embedded system, and preferably want to boot Linux on it from an SD Card. Is this possible? The ARM9 ...

    I'm fairly new to embedded Linux so please take it easy on me

    I am using an ARM9 in an embedded system, and preferably want to boot
    Linux on it from an SD Card. Is this possible?

    The ARM9 has 16 kB internal ROM. I can put a boot loader in there,
    which jumps to NAND flash . In the NAND flash I would like to put
    reboot or u-boot. When these are executed, I would like them to take a
    kernel image from an SD card.

    Is this feasible? How much work would have to be done to redboot/u-boot
    for this architecture to work? If it's too much, I'll explore other
    avenues.

    Right now I plan to have lots of SD Card space (maybe 1 GB), but not
    much NAND (is 1 MB enough for eCos+loader?)

    Also, what advantages to redboot and u-boot have over each other?

    I'm sorry if I'm asking very broad questions, but any help is greatly
    appreciated.

    TIA, Pete

  2. Re: Loading Linux using redboot or u-boot?

    psommerfeld@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm fairly new to embedded Linux so please take it easy on me
    >
    > I am using an ARM9 in an embedded system, and preferably want to boot
    > Linux on it from an SD Card. Is this possible?

    I tool a look at several ARM9 systems that come with Linux. All of them
    use U-Boot. U-Boot can display boot menu on the serial port and after
    that boot from a lot of different media, AFAIK, including internal
    flash, network, FC and SD card.

    -Michael

  3. Re: Loading Linux using redboot or u-boot?

    psommerfeld@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm fairly new to embedded Linux so please take it easy on me
    >
    > I am using an ARM9 in an embedded system, and preferably want to boot
    > Linux on it from an SD Card. Is this possible?
    >
    > The ARM9 has 16 kB internal ROM. I can put a boot loader in there,
    > which jumps to NAND flash . In the NAND flash I would like to put
    > reboot or u-boot. When these are executed, I would like them to take a
    > kernel image from an SD card.
    >
    > Is this feasible? How much work would have to be done to redboot/u-boot
    > for this architecture to work? If it's too much, I'll explore other
    > avenues.

    Check out the TS7300 from embeddedarm.com . They boot of an SD card
    with a minimal loader in flash.

  4. Re: Loading Linux using redboot or u-boot?

    > The ARM9 has 16 kB internal ROM. I can put a boot loader in there,

    Do you really want to create a _chip_ using an ARM9 or order such a
    quantity that someone makes a special version for you ?

    If no you will buy an ARM based chip from some factory (e.g. Atmel
    AT91RM9200). Here they already did the code within the chip-internal
    ROM. E.g. the AT91RM9200 ROM has multiple (not Linux aware) boot
    strategies. The OEM boards based on the AT91RM9200 have a FLASH that is
    booted by the chip-internal ROM.in that Flash there is U-Boot, which
    provides multiple Linux aware boot strategies.

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread